Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Non-Islay Peaty and Smoky Whisky????

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Non-Islay Peaty and Smoky Whisky????

Postby photojonny » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi,

I'm very much enjoying the peatier and smokier Islay malts, and when I try other less/unpeated stuff it seems tame in comparison :o I have a bottle of HP 12 on the go at the mo, but it's just not the same.

Anyway, I think I'm going to stick with the Islay stuff for now, but I was wondering if there are any other genuinely heavily peated malts from other islands or the mainland? I don't mean malts with 'smokey notes' or the like, I mean good ol' high phenol content PEAT :thumbsup:

Many thanks for your help.

J.
photojonny
Bronze Member

Re: Non-Islay Peaty and Smoky Whisky????

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:28 pm

Welcome to the forum Johnny, sounds like Talisker from the island of Skye should be up your alley. The Talisker 18 is particularly good.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:38 pm

Yes, it sounds like you're looking for Talisker. Also, Edradour Ballechin is probably the most peated non-Islay you'll find - it's a Highlander that tastes young (which it is). BenRiach's (Speyside) 21yo Authenticus is excellent, and they have a very good 10yo (or is it 12?) peated bottling too. Ardmore is also a peated Speysider. Personally I think it's too sweet, the smoke is too harsh and it's sooo unbalanced, but as always with whiskies it's so subjective and there will be others who love it.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:50 pm

Welcome to the forum photojonny! Another distillery to look into is Benriach, and their Curiositas, a 10y, and the Authenticus, a 20y. Both are fantastic, the younger a bit rougher and untamed, and the older a wonderful and very well-balanced more tamed version.
Di Blasi

Postby Matt2 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:55 pm

And Connemarra do an excellent peated irish whiskey...
Matt2

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:04 pm

Oh, and Longmorn!
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby photojonny » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks guys. So it seems I'm looking at:

Longmorn (From Springbank, right?)
BenRiach Curiositas
BenRiach Authenticus
Ardmore
Edradour Ballechin (££!)
Talisker
+ Connemarra from Ireland

Any others to add to my wishlist? I am now completely out of the peaty stuff (apart from my miniature Kilchoman New Spirit, having just had the last of my Lappy QC) :evil:

And any opinions as to how these compare to the Islay Usual Suspects?
Last edited by photojonny on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photojonny
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:43 pm

And McCarthy's of Oregon. I suspect, though, that if you're looking for the kick you get from Ardbeg/Laphroaig/Lagavulin, you're going to be disappointed by everything mentioned here. I hope you'll keep an open mind, though. There are many of us here who felt as you do in our early days of whisky exploration. I was a peat freak once, but now hardly ever drink heavily peated drams. The world of whisky is a wide one, and it would be a shame if you confined yourself to one narrow little corner of it.

It's Longrow from Springbank.
Deactivated Member

Postby photojonny » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:47 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote: I hope you'll keep an open mind, though. There are many of us here who felt as you do in our early days of whisky exploration. I was a peat freak once, but now hardly ever drink heavily peated drams. The world of whisky is a wide one, and it would be a shame if you confined yourself to one narrow little corner of it.

I certainly will be keeping an open mind in the long run. At present I can't afford to spend ££ on malt, so I'd rather stick to what I'm enjoying. I'm only 27, so have plenty of time to experiment in the future! The HP 12 was an attempt to 'broaden my horizons', but as I can only really afford to have one or two bottles at a time, I'll stick to the peatier stuff for now.
photojonny
Bronze Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:54 pm

Jonny, if you just want a change from the usual Islays, you could try independent bottlings - MacPhail's Collection Bunnahabhain is a little peatier than the 12yo, and I've had some superb Old Malt Cask Caol Ila bottles.
MrTattieHeid wrote:It's Longrow from Springbank.

Of course. That'll teach me not to give advice whilst drinking a bucket of Glenfiddich :oops:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Jonny,

I'm personally a fan of the Ardmore Traditional Cask--it's quite peated, but Treacle is correct in that it is a bit sweeter. It's the signature malt for Teacher's.

Somebody else mentioned Talisker, and you should definitely try this--it is a terrific dram.

I think people's tastes evolve over time, so the world of whisky awaits you!

welcome to the forum!
harry
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:38 am

I don't think it's Longmorn that everyone is thinking about but rather Longrow (from Springbank).

If you want a realy nice peated mainlander, look for the peated Benriach. here is a really awesome UCF Signaotry bottling.

Ardmore has some mediocre peated ones but there are some truly outstanding ones as well.

Strathislay has some peated whiskies released under another name (Glencraig?).
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:59 am

Ganga wrote:I don't think it's Longmorn that everyone is thinking about but rather Longrow (from Springbank).

Correct, but Mr. T already made that observation a wee bit further up.

Ganga wrote:Ardmore has some mediocre peated ones but there are some truly outstanding ones as well.

The Gordon & Macphail cask strength is a great example of Ardmore IMO.

Ganga wrote:Strathislay has some peated whiskies released under another name (Glencraig?).

I know what you are thinking of here Ganga, but the peated Strathisla was called Craigduff. It was not well regarded and was discontinued quite quickly. Glencraig came out of the Glenburgie distillery and its distinguishing feature was that it came off a Lomond still, not that it was heavily peated.

For something unusual Jonny you should fork out for a bottle of the peated Amrut (Indian) whisky. It is excellent and has many of the characteristics of a full on Islay. Well worth a try.

Also some good peated Japanese malt like Hokkaido out of the Hakushu distillery. Not cheap though.

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:13 am

Yes! Talisker ia a must!

so is LONGROW!!!!!! - I've only had the CV. I love it...and I was weaned on Ardbeg and attend AA meetings(Ardbeggars Anonymous)
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:14 am

Yes! Talisker ia a must!

so is LONGROW!!!!!! - I've only had the CV. I love it...and I was weaned on Ardbeg and attend AA meetings(Ardbeggars Anonymous)
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:15 am

Sorry about the repeat. But I guess I kinda want to stress that I've fallen in love with Longrow... :insane:
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:05 pm

Jonny, I forgot to say I meant Ardmore Traditional Cask - I haven't tried any other Ardmores so I don't know how representative it is.

Ganga wrote:I don't think it's Longmorn that everyone is thinking about but rather Longrow (from Springbank).

Oh the shame, will I ever live this down? :oops: :wink: :P
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby bryce_3 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Sorry about the repeat. But I guess I kinda want to stress that I've fallen in love with Longrow... :insane:

That's ok Reggaeblues, it is indeed worth mentioning twice, Longrow CV is a terrific bottle! Not as heavily peated as any of the above-mentioned Islay heavyweights, but it's under 30GBP and delicious! I would love to try that Longrow 18 everyone's hyped up.

If you are looking to save $$$ and trying to get away from Islay, I would go with the Ardmore Traditional Cask. It's smoky enough and you can find it for just over 20GBP. Ledaig also makes a peated version called (you guessed it) Ledaig Peated, and it's dead cheap at 15 quid!! I haven't tried it, but at that price anything is worth a go.

Good luck and let us know what you go with and how you like them!
8)
bryce_3

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:35 pm

bryce_3 wrote:Ledaig also makes a peated version called (you guessed it) Ledaig Peated, and it's dead cheap at 15 quid!! I haven't tried it, but at that price anything is worth a go.

All Ledaig is peated. The unpeated dram from this distillery is called Tobermory.

Also, it my be cheap, but it can be really rough and many people don't like it to the point of regarding it as undrinkable. The NAS Ledaig is a 4yo and it shows. There is a 10yo version coming to the market and it is much better. Wait for that.

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby Wave » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Though not on the cheap side a couple of my favorite non-Islay peaties are Brora and Millburn. :P

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder