Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Peated Amrut CS

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Amrut

Peated Amrut CS

Postby bamber » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:03 am

Have investigated this malt in detail over the weekend Image

I know its been said before, but this really does taste like a 25yo whisky !! Most similar to Port Ellen (to me). I rarely add water but this benifits from a little and some time in the glass IMO.

It's not perfect and there is a bit off Wellington boot on the nose, but I really cannot recommend this dram enough. The unpeated one is now on my to buy list.

As an aside, I've had quite a bit of the 40% version (when it first came out) and this stuff is much much better.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Re: Peated Amrut CS

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:25 am

Did you buy a bottle on spec or did you get tastings elsewhere?
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:53 am

Bought it from Royal Mile Whiskies. Will take a look at label if you want to know details.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:58 pm

Can't wait to read the label. the notes on the 40% tube were hilarious!

But let that not detract from the quality of contents.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:06 pm

I know the bottle you mean. I was just curious as to whether you had bought it without having tried it. Some peopole are very sceptical about Indian whisky and buying a bottle just to try it is a bold thing to do. If you were being bold, I'm glad it worked well for you.
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:10 pm

Especially bold given that the 40% dram is not that great, but both the peated and unpeated CS Amruts are very good and definitely worth trying.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:14 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I know the bottle you mean. I was just curious as to whether you had bought it without having tried it. Some peopole are very sceptical about Indian whisky and buying a bottle just to try it is a bold thing to do. If you were being bold, I'm glad it worked well for you.

It was an impulse purchase :oops: I actually piggy backed it with a bottle of Ron Millonario 15yo which I've been umming and erring about for ages (also very good). I was going to get the new Auchentoshan, but noticed it on their homepage and noted Willie JJ and others (on the web) had rated it so gave it a whirl.

The rum is great, but in a more obvious way: very sweet and spicy: delicious but does not make you pause for thought the way the Amrut does.

I'd seriously like to try some Indian bourbon.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:14 pm

I actually quite like the 40% ABV 'normal' version. Sure, it's not the most complex or demanding of drams. But slips down well not the less.

I'll shortly be getting samples of the CS Amruts. From what's been written here, they should be good.
Deactivated Member

Postby Wendy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:13 am

Last November, I was asked by Amrut Distilleries to do some work for them in Canada which I happily accepted. I have done a few whisky club presentations and had the great honour debuting their whisky at the Victoria Whisky Festival last January. It has been a lovely experience working with Amrut and, most importantly, because I really enjoy their whiskies, has been a pleasure promoting to whisky enthusiasts. At the Victoria Whisky Festival most people were surprised to hear of an Indian single malt. I found many returned for seconds because after first getting over the novelty of the product, they returned to "taste". And, were very happy with the results. It was a rewarding experience.

A couple of years ago, I had started a thread on this forum asking about Indian Whiskies; Amrut was one of the whiskies that I had asked about. At the time, I had asked a friend of mine who was traveling to India to visit family, to bring something back for me. Jereon from PeatFreak informed me that Amrut Single Malt whisky had not been released in India which really surprised and disappointed me. So, I decided to write Amrut for an explanation. They were very approachable and helpful. To fast forward, when I finally had the chance to try the Amrut 40%abv, I wrote to tell them how much I enjoyed it. They wrote me back every time which I really appreciated. I guess I remained on someone's radar, and when Rick Jagdale and Ashok Chokalingham visited Toronto on business, they asked to meet me and the rest is history. :D

The three Amrut bottlings are:
Amrut Single Malt 40%abv
Amrut Single Malt CS 61.9%abv
Amrut Single Malt CS Peated 61.2%abv

There is an upcoming new release which I think will continue to please many who try it.

All the best,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:51 am

I bought the 40% bottling last year sometime, wholly on reviews here and there. It's decent enough, but I wouldn't buy another bottle of it; it just doesn't grab me enough and there's a bit of an odd (though not off) taste to it when compared to Scottish/Irish whiskies that I can't describe.

Wouldn't mind having a go at the peated version though - that does sound good!
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby No Man » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:26 pm

Wendy wrote:Jereon from PeatFreak informed me that Amrut Single Malt whisky had not been released in India which really surprised and disappointed me.

Ahem!
No Man

Postby Wendy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:42 pm

No Man wrote:Ahem!

Opps...I stand corrected! :D What better way to draw you out of the woodwork, No Man. Thanks for finding that thread. :thumbsup:

All the best,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby A Motley » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:55 pm

By the way, Amrut standard is just about to switch to a 46% unchillfiltered. All three have been amazingly good drams and bizarrely mature, but the peated bottling rules.

Arthur, Royal Mile Whiskies.
A Motley

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:04 pm

Couldn't agree more Arthur.

Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Related whiskies : Amrut

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder