Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

21 yr old HP, 27 yr old Laphroaig - sought after?

General chat and talk about whisky.

21 yr old HP, 27 yr old Laphroaig - sought after?

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:44 pm

Just looking for a few opinions on how collectable people view these two bottles?

Was in Duty free this morning and noticed the HP is marked for exclusive sale to World Duty Free shoppers only.

Is it a much sought after bottle?

Wasnt sure if it was worth adding to the collection or not.

I never had time to view the Laphroaig 27 year old but believe thats another which is exclusive to them.

Thoughts?
Deactivated Member

Re: 21 yr old HP, 27 yr old Laphroaig - sought after?

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:48 pm

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:48 pm

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:10 pm

Anything is collectible, if you want to collect it.

I'd be much more interested in knowing how drinkable they are.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:12 pm

There is some tasting notes on those links.

The 27 yr old is pretty expensive, £350 i think which is a fair amount to be drinking!!

Still, if you can afford it why not!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:26 pm

It's interesting that you want our opinions on collectibility now when you were so keen to tell us about the collectibility of the bottles you were trying to sell.
Deactivated Member

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:37 pm

Day 2 in the big whisky brother household.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:46 pm

Nick Brown wrote:It's interesting that you want our opinions on collectibility now when you were so keen to tell us about the collectibility of the bottles you were trying to sell.

I have no problems with people giving their opinions Nick, never will have either hence the reason for me putting this post up asking for opinions, just like i put a post up asking about the Cairdeas etc. No big deal.

Only thing i have had a problem with was the abuse i got from you because you have a bee in your bonnet about something. Shame really, as most guys iv spoken to say your alright........
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:46 pm

IainB wrote:Day 2 in the big whisky brother household.

Nick wouldnt be allowed in the BB house because you need to have good banter to get in there and his chat is reekin!

:P :headbang:
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Is your question "How collectable are these two bottlings?" or "How likely are they to increase in value?" Two fundamentally different questions.

As Tattie has stated, anything is collectable. That's just the process of accumulation.

I believe that in the short term, neither of these bottles will appreciate very rapidly. Laphroaig 27 was reviewed in a live tasting at Laphroaig with some mixed reviews. The price will keep it on the shelves for a while. HP 21 might have some margin as there will be interested souls in consuming it that are not travelling abroad. Long-term is who knows because the global economy is in such flux right now.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Ganga wrote:Is your question "How collectable are these two bottlings?" or "How likely are they to increase in value?" Two fundamentally different questions.

As Tattie has stated, anything is collectable. That's just the process of accumulation.

I believe that in the short term, neither of these bottles will appreciate very rapidly. Laphroaig 27 was reviewed in a live tasting at Laphroaig with some mixed reviews. The price will keep it on the shelves for a while. HP 21 might have some margin as there will be interested souls in consuming it that are not travelling abroad. Long-term is who knows because the global economy is in such flux right now.

Anything is collectable?? I dont agree with this statement because i dont see how bottles produced in large quantities can be collectable but we can beg to differ on that one.

My question was quite simple really - how collectable are these bottles?

I dont have a big HP or Laphroaig collection but i do have a mixed collection so im considering buying them and if they are only available at Duty Free - that will make them more collectable as not everyone can get their hands on them.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:05 pm

EVERYTHING is collectable. A collection is independent of value or price. Children collect rocks, bottle caps, what have you. A collection is just that, an accumulation of something.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:12 pm

Ganga wrote:EVERYTHING is collectable. A collection is independent of value or price. Children collect rocks, bottle caps, what have you. A collection is just that, an accumulation of something.

Yes if you want to take it out of context like that, you could say anything is collectable hence i said "we can beg to differ on that one"

But really, what do rocks, bottle caps have to do with a HP 21 yr old and a 27 yr old Laphroaig?

Nothing. So how about we try keep it on topic!! Can u manage that?
'
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:20 pm

I think you're question is, "How much can I stick it to the collectors?"
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:22 pm

Ganga wrote:I think you're question is, "How much can I stick it to the collectors?"

Nope, my questions are still -

Just looking for a few opinions on how collectable people view these two bottles?

and

Is it a much sought after bottle?

Do i need to draw a diagram or is that clear enough for you? I really dont see whats difficult to read about that.......... :headbang:
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:26 pm

Going back you do ask how collectable these two bottles are? As collectable as the next

You also ask how sought after they are. I know one person interested in the HP 21 and none interested in the Laphroaig 27. HP is limited to duty free but that doesn't necessarily make it very limited. The only premium I can see this gaining is from folks that want to get the bottle without the international travel involved. The price of the Laphroaig 27 will keep many of the Laphroaig enthusiasts away from this bottle. I see this one being available for awhile with this price tag, especially since the review panel was not blown away by this one.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:27 pm

You're the one that seems to be having the problem with definitions of words. Maybe you should try a dictionary.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:28 pm

Ganga wrote:Going back you do ask how collectable these two bottles are? As collectable as the next

You also ask how sought after they are. I know one person interested in the HP 21 and none interested in the Laphroaig 27. HP is limited to duty free but that doesn't necessarily make it very limited. The only premium I can see this gaining is from folks that want to get the bottle without the international travel involved. The price of the Laphroaig 27 will keep many of the Laphroaig enthusiasts away from this bottle. I see this one being available for awhile with this price tag, especially since the review panel was not blown away by this one.

See, that wasnt so hard was it!! Now i wonder if your master can follow suit...

:thumbsup:
Deactivated Member

Postby woodhill » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:50 pm

FeisIslay wrote:Just looking for a few opinions on how collectable people view these two bottles?

I don't think collectable people view these bottles at all!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:50 pm

FeisIslay wrote:There is some tasting notes on those links.

The 27 yr old is pretty expensive, £350 i think which is a fair amount to be drinking!!

No, I wouldn't spend that on a bottle to drink--it could never be £350 worth to me. Still, it would be closer to worth it to drink it, than to buy it and not drink it.

The question you want to ask, obviously, is "Will this appreciate in value?" I think the proper answer is that no one really knows. I haven't heard of many df-only bottlings being very marketable in that way, but I should think you would have a better idea yourself, since you have more experience in that regard. I know some people here pick up bottles with an eye toward turning them over down the road, but most of them say that the beauty of it is that if it doesn't appreciate in value, you can drink it. With that in mind, I think most of them would agree that it's pretty risky to buy something that you can't afford to drink. But most of us are whisky lovers, not day traders.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:16 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
FeisIslay wrote:There is some tasting notes on those links.

No, I wouldn't spend that on a bottle to drink--it could never be £350 worth to me. Still, it would be closer to worth it to drink it, than to buy it and not drink it.

The question you want to ask, obviously, is "Will this appreciate in value?" I think the proper answer is that no one really knows. I haven't heard of many df-only bottlings being very marketable in that way, but I should think you would have a better idea yourself, since you have more experience in that regard. I know some people here pick up bottles with an eye toward turning them over down the road, but most of them say that the beauty of it is that if it doesn't appreciate in value, you can drink it. With that in mind, I think most of them would agree that it's pretty risky to buy something that you can't afford to drink. But most of us are whisky lovers, not day traders.

I couldnt justify spending £350 on a bottle of whisky to drink. Perhaps im wrong to say that but i just think thats an awful lot of money to be drinking away.

Saying that, iv heard and read it being done so obviously some people out they can justify it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:22 pm

What's the limit then? If I were a distiller and thought that no-one would drink whisky priced over £350 I'd just fill the botles with cold tea in the safe knowledge that it wouldn't be drunk but bopught up by privateers and sold to gullible collectors!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:34 pm

Crieftan wrote:What's the limit then? If I were a distiller and thought that no-one would drink whisky priced over £350 I'd just fill the botles with cold tea in the safe knowledge that it wouldn't be drunk but bopught up by privateers and sold to gullible collectors!

The limit would be either

a) how much you can afford

or

b) how much you realistically want to pay

£350 to me is alot to pay for a bottle to drink, but not to collect

:)
Deactivated Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:50 pm

as you I know I am the king of the hooovers.

I love hoovers and hoovers love me.

In terms of collectablity ... the black label laphroaig is £350 in duty free and £400 to £450 in UK shops. with an outrun of just under 1000 bottles ... will it go up in value ..... stilll thinking .......possible but a slow burner.

HP21 ...... collectable .. yes ... increase in value .... naa.

But then I have a Laphroaig 30 open at the moment. Why ... well because i had it and opened it. You might get run over tomorrow!
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:59 pm

adogranonthepitch wrote:as you I know I am the king of the hooovers.

I love hoovers and hoovers love me.

In terms of collectablity ... the black label laphroaig is £350 in duty free and £400 to £450 in UK shops. with an outrun of just under 1000 bottles ... will it go up in value ..... stilll thinking .......possible but a slow burner.

HP21 ...... collectable .. yes ... increase in value .... naa.

But then I have a Laphroaig 30 open at the moment. Why ... well because i had it and opened it. You might get run over tomorrow!

lol!! love it!! atleast your honest Dog, good on you!

atleast you would get run over with some 30 yr old in your gut :)
Deactivated Member

Postby bryce_3 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:18 pm

In regards to the HP 21, I believe John Hansell of Malt Advocate gave this one a 93 or something, but he does mention that it is only available as Travel Retail. I saw one in WOW at Heathrow for 50 quid last time I was there. Looks kinda tasty and I would get one to open up and enjoy, but I wouldn't dream of buying it to collect, or let alone in anticipation of it going up in value.

8)
bryce_3

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:32 pm

bryce_3 wrote:In regards to the HP 21, I believe John Hansell of Malt Advocate gave this one a 93 or something, but he does mention that it is only available as Travel Retail. I saw one in WOW at Heathrow for 50 quid last time I was there. Looks kinda tasty and I would get one to open up and enjoy, but I wouldn't dream of buying it to collect, or let alone in anticipation of it going up in value.

8)

I think it's up to 60 pounds now. Or at least that's what I had to pay my buddy when he brought one back for me. Seems like a bargain vs. their 25 or 30 yo! :thumbsup:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:40 pm

FeisIslay wrote:
£350 to me is alot to pay for a bottle to drink, but not to collect

But would you buy that bottle if you knew the price would not go up?
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:56 pm

Did i read that this is joining the general line up available to the general market?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:31 pm

r900p wrote:Did i read that this is joining the general line up available to the general market?

Rob

Had not heard that for either bottling, but it would not surprise me in HP's case, given their 12, 15, 18, 25 and 30. And their 16 for DF...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Klas » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:52 pm

FeisIslay wrote:this is one of them -

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/h ... y3206.html

Let's get the facts right:
The Ambassadors cask 21 years (released a few years ago), which you are referring to, is NOT the same as the HP 21 released for the Duty Free Market.
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:18 am

Sherried Malt wrote:
bryce_3 wrote:In regards to the HP 21, I believe John Hansell of Malt Advocate gave this one a 93 or something, but he does mention that it is only available as Travel Retail. I saw one in WOW at Heathrow for 50 quid last time I was there. Looks kinda tasty and I would get one to open up and enjoy, but I wouldn't dream of buying it to collect, or let alone in anticipation of it going up in value.

8)

I think it's up to 60 pounds now. Or at least that's what I had to pay my buddy when he brought one back for me. Seems like a bargain vs. their 25 or 30 yo! :thumbsup:

it is £61.99 in the Edinburgh duty free shop, says right along the box its only for travelling customers, exclusive to world duty free
Deactivated Member

Postby objetti » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:43 am

I would definately like to get a Laphroaig 27. If I had more spending money I would get one. But at the moment it´s far out of my range. As far as appreciation of value I think it represents a somewhat new trend where the destillery themselves incorporate the speculator value already in the original price (New Black Bowmore pricing being perhaps the most extreme example).
objetti
Bronze Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:26 pm

objetti wrote:
I think it represents a somewhat new trend where the destillery themselves incorporate the speculator value already in the original price (New Black Bowmore pricing being perhaps the most extreme example).

This has already happened in the world of high-end California cabernets. Things like Screaming Eagle and Harlan Estate have gone through the roof as prices in the secondary market were substantially higher (2x-4x) than what the vintners charged. They probably also used the rationale, "Since my wine is world class, why shouldn't I charge what first growth Bordeaux go for?"

:(
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:29 pm

FeisIslay wrote:
it is £61.99 in the Edinburgh duty free shop, says right along the box its only for travelling customers, exclusive to world duty free

Right you are. When my buddy delivered the bottle, he said, "Why don't we say $120 and we'll call it even?" A discount and hand delivery... You can't beat that! :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder