Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Auchentoshan / Three Wood Matured

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Auchentoshan Three Wood

Auchentoshan / Three Wood Matured

Postby vengey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Just had a dram of Auchentoshan / Three Wood Matured.

I was disappointed, not sure what I was expecting. The nose is weak and soon goes to almost nothing. The taste is far from unpleasant but it doesn't leave you wanting more. The finish is short and disappointing.

All in all, fairly disappointed with it. To you experts, what does this say about my whisky tastes? Am I expecting too much?
vengey

Re: Auchentoshan / Three Wood Matured

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 pm

vengey wrote:All in all, fairly disappointed with it. To you experts, what does this say about my whisky tastes? Am I expecting too much?

Not at all. Maybe you just don't like it. Everyone has different tastes.

What I would say is that Auchentoshan is a triple distiled whisky and as such is a lighter spirit than you may be used to. If you have a whole bottle then just sit down with it for a few drams and give yourself a chance to get to know it. Sometimes that's all that's required.

Otherwise, give it to someone that does like it.

Cheers
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

As Willie states, we each have a different palate. Willie, makes a good suggestion in spending an evening with this particular bottle. Go in with an open mind rather than with expectations.

If you still don't get it, set the bottle aside for awhile and come back to it. The whisky will have changed somewhat and you may have change a wee bit as well.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:48 am

vengey wrote:Just had a dram of Auchentoshan / Three Wood Matured.

I was disappointed, not sure what I was expecting. The nose is weak and soon goes to almost nothing. The taste is far from unpleasant but it doesn't leave you wanting more. The finish is short and disappointing.

All in all, fairly disappointed with it. To you experts, what does this say about my whisky tastes? Am I expecting too much?

i felt exactly the same way

i opened mine with some friends and although we all agreed it was pleasant enough it left me disappointed - i thought it was run of the mill on the palate and short also

i then didn't touch it for about 3 months and when i did it was like a different whisky

i don't know whether it was my mood, the company or the whisky but second time around i couldn't get enough of it - and its on my list to purchase

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:54 am

I don't have my tasting notes handy for the 3 Wood, but I do generally remember what I thought:

There was lots of wood and sherry on the palate, but not as complex or good as either the Glenfarclas 1987 QC or the A'Bunadh.

What I distinctly remember was that even though there was lots of wood and sherry, there was no disguising the lowland character underneath it all.

It was a pleasant enough dram, but not one I will rush back to, especially when there are so many other good sherried drams out there.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Klas » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:48 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:It was a pleasant enough dram, but not one I will rush back to, especially when there are so many other good sherried drams out there.

I second that, my feeling exactly
Klas
Silver Member

Postby vengey » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:12 pm

Alright, I will give it another go tonight. It could be because I had been drinking my Banff 32 YO an hour before....

Like I said, I didn't find it unpleasant, just very boring. Then again, my other open bottle is a Glenfiddich 18 and the Banff...hehe
vengey

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:04 pm

vengey wrote:Alright, I will give it another go tonight. It could be because I had been drinking my Banff 32 YO an hour before....

Like I said, I didn't find it unpleasant, just very boring. Then again, my other open bottle is a Glenfiddich 18 and the Banff...hehe

if it still doesn't hit the spot you can send it to me for further evaluation :D :D :D

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed May 16, 2012 3:56 am

Terrible stuff. What a waste of my money.

Nose (undiluted):
Subtle, very subtle, hot chocolate, vanilla and sherry.

Palate (undiluted)
A rounded body delivering sherry, mushroom, brackish water and preserved beets.

Finish (undiluted)
Carmelized onion, pepper, bitter fig, bay leaf, and some bad smoke.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby SheltieBoy » Thu May 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Wow! I sure am interested in trying my unopened bottle after these reviews...especially yours, Novice Scotch Fan.

Do you think you had a spoiled bottle? The mushroom/preserved beets components sound to me like the bottle was 'corked.'
And what on earth is "bad smoke?"
SheltieBoy

Related whiskies : Auchentoshan Three Wood

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder