Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Boston - Liquor Stores & Bars

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Boston - Liquor Stores & Bars

Postby pmullin » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:45 am

I'm going to Beantown this weekend with my better half.

Any recommendations for liquor stores and bars in the downtown area with a good selection of whiskies? I already have Federal Wines & Liquors on my list, but am keen to check out some others.

Many thanks!
PM
Last edited by pmullin on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Re: Boston - Liquor Stores & Bars

Postby Ryguy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:39 am

pmullin wrote:I'm going to Beantown this weekend with my better half.

Any recommendations for liquor stores and bars with a good selection of whiskies? I already have Federal Wines & Liquors on my list, but am keen to check out some others.

Many thanks!
PM

Do not go further than Federal Wine & Spirits! Talk to Joe Howell, tell him Ryan from Maine sent you. He's extremely knowledgable and very kind. He'll offer you more tastes than you will need, trust me. They have several bottles of single malt open and available for taste. Plus they have a great selection.

As far as bars, find The Omni Parker House Hotel. There is a bar inside called "The Last Hurrah". They have a great selection of single malts at reasonable prices as well. They also offer 1/2oz 'sample' size drams, at 1/2 price as well. I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

Any ?'s shoot me a PM>
Ryan
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby AdamH » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:16 am

I spent a few weeks in Boston this summer and completely agree on Federal Wine & Spirits. It was the only place I found there with a truly good selection. Joe is a good guy, very enthusiastic, and happy to hook you up with samples, which he has quite a few of.
AdamH

Postby Secesh » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:42 pm

ryguy wrote:Do not go further than Federal Wine & Spirits! Talk to Joe Howell, tell him Ryan from Maine sent you. He's extremely knowledgable and very kind. He'll offer you more tastes than you will need, trust me. They have several bottles of single malt open and available for taste. Plus they have a great selection.

Ryan

I agree Federal is the place. And 'several' bottles open is probably a major understatement. No other store that I've found in the Boston area comes close.

Tom
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:54 am

ryguy wrote:
pmullin wrote:I'm going to Beantown this weekend with my better half.

Any recommendations for liquor stores and bars with a good selection of whiskies? I already have Federal Wines & Liquors on my list, but am keen to check out some others.

Many thanks!
PM

Do not go further than Federal Wine & Spirits! Talk to Joe Howell, tell him Ryan from Maine sent you.

Tell him hi from Mr Tattie Heid, as well (if I'm not too late).
Deactivated Member

Postby pmullin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:52 am

Well, either you are all on the take from Joe, or Federal Wine & Spirits is indeed the Boston "whisky destination" :thumbsup:

Many thanks for taking the time to reply!
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Ryguy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:04 am

Mr. TH actually pointed me in the direction of Federal Wine a while ago, trust me, I'm really glad I took the time to stop by.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, leave yourself some time when you go to the shop...Joe is a great guy and loves to talk about whisky. He's extremely up to date with the whisky industry. Plus while you're talking, the samples will keep coming. :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Secesh » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:52 pm

pmullin wrote:Well, either you are all on the take from Joe, or Federal Wine & Spirits is indeed the Boston "whisky destination" :thumbsup:

How did the trip go?
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby pmullin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:16 pm

Secesh wrote:
pmullin wrote:Well, either you are all on the take from Joe, or Federal Wine & Spirits is indeed the Boston "whisky destination" :thumbsup:

How did the trip go?

Excellent!

I wholeheartedly agree with all those kind enough to recommend Federal Wine & Spirits.

The selection is awesome, the service is excellent, and with samples of many of the drams on offer, you just cannot go wrong. Also, it is a joy to deal with Joe, as he is both extremely knowledgeable and passionate about whisky.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:48 pm

pmullin wrote:
Secesh wrote:

How did the trip go?

Excellent!

I wholeheartedly agree with all those kind enough to recommend Federal Wine & Spirits.

The selection is awesome, the service is excellent, and with samples of many of the drams on offer, you just cannot go wrong. Also, it is a joy to deal with Joe, as he is both extremely knowledgeable and passionate about whisky.

I'm glad it went well pmullin! Joe is a great guy to deal with, and yes the samples are a huge plus! :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby pmullin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:32 pm

I would also add that the strategy of serving samples is a brilliant sales technique, especially with the selection of independent bottlings on offer. I ended up buying a somewhat pricey bottle of G&M Mortlach 21 that I would not have taken a chance on without the opportunity to try it first.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Secesh » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:45 pm

pmullin wrote:I would also add that the strategy of serving samples is a brilliant sales technique, especially with the selection of independent bottlings on offer. I ended up buying a somewhat pricey bottle of G&M Mortlach 21 that I would not have taken a chance on without the opportunity to try it first.

Yes the samples are helpful in the other way as well. I was curious about Dalmore and Joe gave me two different expressions to try. I did not like either but under different circumstances I would have probably bought one of them just to try it out. So instead of the Dalmore I purchased something else that he let me try. I believe it was the Talisker 18 I recently finished. An added (unheard of?) occurrance when I went in looking for a Glenfarclas. He didn't have any open :shock: I bought a 25yr anyway and he said if I open it and don't like it to just bring it back. Unbelievable service.
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:14 am

I will be in Boston in November for work, and will certainly look up Federated. Sounds like the place to go!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Gilles Deleuze » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:34 am

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:I will be in Boston in November for work, and will certainly look up Federated. Sounds like the place to go!

Don't miss it. I go there whenever I go back home to Boston. And like everyone else here has said, Joe is class, so helpful and knowledgeable.
Gilles Deleuze
Bronze Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:03 am

Gilles Deleuze wrote:
Novice Scotch Fan wrote:I will be in Boston in November for work, and will certainly look up Federated. Sounds like the place to go!

Don't miss it. I go there whenever I go back home to Boston. And like everyone else here has said, Joe is class, so helpful and knowledgeable.

Federal Wine & Spirits, State Street, Boston, ask for Joe. It will be worth your while. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Vatted Frank » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:43 am

Thanks Pierre,I appreciate all the info on Joe,I look forward to my first trip to Boston in many years this winter.I will looking up Joe for sure!
After a few years of being absent from this site.... I am back.

Frank
Vatted Frank

Postby Ryguy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:10 pm

Vatted Frank wrote:Thanks Pierre,I appreciate all the info on Joe,I look forward to my first trip to Boston in many years this winter.I will looking up Joe for sure!
After a few years of being absent from this site.... I am back.

Frank

Welcome back to the Forums!! Enjoy your stay in Boston, and be sure to give yourself some time to speak with Joe. :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:15 am

I am staying at the Liberty Hotel near Beacon Hill in Boston, and so will certainly check out Federal Liquor and Spirits. I will certainly ask for Joe.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder