Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenfarclas 105 vs. Aberlour A'bunadh

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenfarclas 105 vs. Aberlour A'bunadh

Postby Bruichladdict » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:58 am

OK, going to the US from Canada in August for 48hr, which means I can cross a couple of bottles duty free.

I'm going to purchase Bruichladdich 12, Lag 16yo, and I have to decide between Glenfarclas 105 and Aberlour A'bundadh.

Does anyone have a preference? Why?

Thanks for the help.
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Re: Glenfarclas 105 vs. Aberlour A'bunadh

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:56 am

I'm afraid I'm going to be the only dissenting voice here but personaly I prefer the 105. It's a pitty you can't go for both though because they're both worth trying out.
I've only had batch 12 & 17 of the Aberlour and the latter is supposed to be one of the better batches. It's not bad but I feel it's trying too hard; just too much of everything. It has a very strong sherry character but it's also very like a small batch bourbon which must be a result of widespread use of american oak in the spanish sherry production. I know most people will disagree with me but I feel the 105 is a not only a great whisky but it's also a typical Glenfarclas - and it's balanced too! The Abunadh reminds me of a toddy which I won't drink unless I have a cold. But each to his own - and from what I've read on this forum no one will agree with me.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:57 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:I'm afraid I'm going to be the only dissenting voice here but personaly I prefer the 105. ...,The Abunadh reminds me of a toddy which I won't drink unless I have a cold. But each to his own - and from what I've read on this forum no one will agree with me.

Completely agree :) Crazy thing is there are so many fans of Abunadh that I've waded through two bottles of that crystallised sherry treacle in attempt to enjoy it ! I would say if you don't like the Aberlour 10yo at all (I really do not like it) I would be wary of its pumped up cousin.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:36 am

I don't know about avoiding tha A'bunadh if you are not a huge fan of the ten. I think they are completely different products and should be treated as such.

The problem with the A'bunadh to my mind is the variability of the batches. Some are definitely magnificent, while others can be a bit sulphury or even over the top as has been suggested. The advantage of the 105 is that the bigger batches (I believe) give greater consistency. Both are worth trying, but if you can only take one and you don't know anythng about the particular batch of A'bunadh that you're looking at then it's probably a safer bet to go for the 105.

Having said that there is a wealth of experience in A'bunadh batches around here so wait for the advice; it is coming. Someone will know what batch you are likely to find (21 seems to be the common one in North America at the moment) and can comment. I haven't tried 21 as it wasn't released here.

Anyway if you like full on sherried malt then buy one of these two and you'll have fun.

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby Bruichladdict » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Gentlemen and possibly Ladies,

I've had the Aberlour 12 double cask, I found it to be candy like in character. But from what everyone on the forum was saying, I was thinking the A'bunadh might be the way to go.

That being said, I am now leaning towards the 105. I've a friend who suggested it and now three prolific members of the forum to recommend (many thanks to you).

Thanks again for your help.
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby objetti » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:02 pm

I would buy the Aberlour A'bunadh batch 20 if that is available over the 105.
One other amazing Glenfarclas dram though - that any french/dutch/belgian on the list could perhaps pick up (that I find to be a notch over the A'bunadh batch 20) - is the Glenfarclas Heritage Cask Strength sold at (and I believe specially bottled for) Auchan supermarkets (bought two for less than 40€/each when at Disney Paris and just finished the first one)
objetti
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:45 pm

The a'bunadh for me has two different profiles, one more of the caramels and oranges and the one that is more winey (more definitely the sherry). I'd take the a'bunadh over the 105 when it's the first profile and the 105 when it's the second profile.

There, the true fence sitter. :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby SoMK » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:06 pm

^ Ditto.

A'bunadh varies, 105 doesn't or at least I suppose with a lesser intensity.
A'bunadh can be chocolatey/orange or very winey.. with a few exception with sulphur notes - bearable though-
Batches # 20, 18 or 17 would be my fav over the 105 but not batch 21.
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby DanAir » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:15 am

I just happened to have both today. I've just opened the 105 and I understand it gets better with age so whilst it's good but not perfect right now, I suspect I'll start to like it more and more.

The a'bunagh I had was batch 22, big, heavy, sweet, syrupy, and in my eyes slightly artificial. I've previously had a batch 15 which was slightly better. Not such a fan.

Round 1 to the 105...
DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:29 am

Dan the batch 22 is not so good. Try to find a batch 20, or 23 to see how good the A'bunadh can be.

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby DanAir » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:09 am

Willie JJ wrote:Try to find a batch 20, or 23 to see how good the A'bunadh can be.

Will do, Willie. Shame it's so inconsistent though.
DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby TheTross » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:02 am

Hmm, I have a bottle of a'bunadh batch 22 and really enjoy it, so perhaps I should buy a bottle of batch 23 to see the difference.

For me, it's a tough call between the 105 and a'bunadh. I rated both very, very highly, but I'd (narrowly) choose the a'bunadh over the 105 because of the former's thick, syrupy nature.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:38 am

And there's the rub; personal preference! I've only tried the batch 21 (have an unopened 18 I need to crack, I guess!) but I prefer the a'bunadh over the 105 by a slight margin; but there are times I crave the 105. I guess if you forced me to choose, I'd choose the a'bunadh, but read the reviews to see what batches go down better.

(That sounds kinda wishy-washy, too, doesn't it?!?)

:mrgreen:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby sampaiocaleia » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:42 am

I've tasted both.
But I prefer the A'bunadh
If you want you could see my tasting notes (use the translator):
Glenfarclas 105
http://thewhiskyscapesociety.blogspot.com/2008/04/glenfarclas-105-cask-strength-10-anos.html
A'bunadh #20
http://thewhiskyscapesociety.blogspot.com/2008/06/aberlour-abunadh-batch-20-605-abv.html
sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder