Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Whisky That Cannot Be Named 1953 (Adelphi)

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Re: The Whisky That Cannot Be Named 1953 (Adelphi)

Postby TheTross » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:32 pm

Well, I'm not an expert. Charles MacLean certainly is though, and he rates it quite highly:

Charles MacLean wrote:In 25 years of considering whiskies carefully and writing tasting notes, this sample ranks among the top two or three I have tasted.

Ever since I heard about this bottle - and read its reviews - I've been really curious as to just how good it is to earn such an accolade, but at £500 a bottle (last time I saw a price for it was about a year or so ago though, so it may be more expensive now) it's a tad too much for my wallet...

I'd say if you can afford it, definitely buy and open it, because by all accounts it's one of the best whiskies ever bottled. As for its potential increase in value? I don't play that game so I have no idea; I buy whisky solely to drink, and if it were me that had the opportunity to get a bottle I certainly wouldn't have it lying around getting dusty :empty:
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:12 pm

winston81 wrote:Hi,

The above Whisky i have always wanted to add to my collection.

It just looks a me and asks me to buy it!?!?! wierd i know.

I open this topic to ask all of the Whisky experts on this forum to give me some advice on this Whisky.

Is it a worthy whisky to add to a collection?

Is it a valued investment long term?

Just some info on it? Have you tried it?

Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Thanks in advance

I did try it just after Christmas this year and indeed it is an excellent Glenfarclas, rich, complex, not as woody and tannic as you would expect from such an old whisky. I haven't published my tasting note yet, but I gave him a 19 out of 20.
It can be still found here and then in the £450-500 range and If you like old sherried whiskies, then it is worth to get one bottle.
Is it a long term investment? I am not sure. It is already quite expensive and you can found 40 years old Glenfarclas for £200 and Independent Bottlings are less sought after than OB.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:56 pm

TheTross wrote:Well, I'm not an expert. Charles MacLean certainly is though, and he rates it quite highly:

Charles MacLean wrote:In 25 years of considering whiskies carefully and writing tasting notes, this sample ranks among the top two or three I have tasted.

Just to put things in perspective. Charles MacLean is in charge of the selection of the casks for Adelphi, but it is indeed an excellent whisky.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:27 am

corbuso wrote:
TheTross wrote:Well, I'm not an expert. Charles MacLean certainly is though, and he rates it quite highly:

Just to put things in perspective. Charles MacLean is in charge of the selection of the casks for Adelphi, but it is indeed an excellent whisky.

I didn't know that but it is very funny. Thanks for tipping us off.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:47 am

corbuso wrote:

Indeed, there's a nice full-page photo of Charlie and Alex Bruce in the current Malt Whisky Yearbook doing that very thing...
Deactivated Member

Postby Caledonia » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:16 am

I have tried it and amongst the very few older whiskies (above 30 i have tried) i just dont get it, why keep a whisky in a sherry cask for so long. The sherry overtakes any real whisky flavour, let alone the old dryness you get from the cask. Indeed it is a rich , spicy and dry whisky... but its just not what i picture whisky.

Perhaps i am a young idealist about whisky, however this whisky just didnt make sense to me when i tried it!!!

Id be happy to get corrected,

I didnt like the glenfarclas , (aka whisky that can not be named ) and at £500 quid a bottle, id be much happier buying a less than 100 quid bottle 5 times for that price.
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:30 am

Wellcome to the forum Caledonia. :thumbsup:
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby Caledonia » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:33 am

Ras Mazunga wrote:Wellcome to the forum Caledonia. :thumbsup:

Cheers mate!
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Caledonia » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:47 am

Tired it at a tasting 2 years ago. you ask what whiskies i have tried?

Or what other old whiskies i have tried. Thats the oldest i have had the oppurtunity to try.

Had a few 30-40 yrs old from ardbeg, highland park, tomatin, glenfarclas, macallan, couple of blends (like john scotts being the most interestingly related much better value for a heavy sherried than the whisky that cannot be named) few others i cant think of right now.

I try most of them at tastings.. if thats what your asking. I PM'd where i tried it .
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Bunkermania » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:23 pm

I have also tried this one. I love old sherrymonsters even if they are not so much whisky as someone before said, but it is a very nice drink.
I have also tried some other 40+ and 50 year old and it is really very good. I gave it a score of 92, so I have tried better whiskies, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a very good whisky.
Value for money? No, not really. You can buy other heavy sherrymonsters for much lesser money, but they won't be 50 years old.
Bunkermania

Postby laddie teun » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:43 pm

tried it a few times
one of teh best ever!
this for me is a bottle i would consider spendig that amount of money on
value for money, (perhaps) yes!
just buy it, drink with friends
laddie teun
Bronze Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder