Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin 21?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Lagavulin 21 Years Old

Lagavulin 21?

Postby MacLlyr » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:41 am

Can anyone tell me how rare the Lagavulin 21 YO OB is? Is it numbered, if so how many were bottled? As well what years was it bottled? As well can anyone tell me how it stacks up against Ardbeg Provenance?
MacLlyr

Re: Lagavulin 21?

Postby Ryguy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:48 am

It was distilled in 1985, bottled in 2007. There are 6642 bottles released. I cannot tell you how 'rare' it is really, all I do know is that there are still bottles available.

And I cannot comment on how it compares to the Ardbeg Provenance, as I've never tried it. But Ardbeg and Lagavulin are completely different animals all together, so it's safe to say that it would be like comparing 'apples' to 'oranges'.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:59 am

Aye they're pretty different to be sure and its a while since I tasted the Provenance, but the Laga 21 is a terrific dram. No doubt.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby MacLlyr » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:08 am

I noticed that Lagavulin also made a greater number of 25 years old the same in 2007. Is this worth the price difference; are the 4 additional years worth it?
MacLlyr

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:38 am

Both are excellent I think but as to what something is worth ...

There are plenty of excellent drams out there for less than £30/$60

Its up to you really

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby MacLlyr » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:13 am

Very true, which is why I normally drink Laphroaig 10YO for my daily dram(s) as it is less then $40.00 where I live. Sometimes though I just want a little more excitement, which is why I have gotten into hording (I mean collecting) for special occasions.
MacLlyr

Postby corbuso » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:20 am

MacLlyr wrote:I noticed that Lagavulin also made a greater number of 25 years old the same in 2007. Is this worth the price difference; are the 4 additional years worth it?

The main difference is that the 21 YO was from sherry casks and the 25 from Boubon casks. So far, the 21 YO is my favorite (compared to the 25 and 30 YO releases).
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:25 am

The 21 was individually numbered as well. I got mine direct from the distillery on a visit there. Retailed at £110.00 and was bottled at 56.5% stating Natural Cask Strength on the bottle.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Also, the 21y is only "from first fill Spanish Sherry European Oak casks" which is/was not normal. Not sure how much of Lagavulin whisky is aged with these casks, but I've been told there probably wasn't else available at that time. Quite special stuff, and very good! I've sadly never tasted the Ardbeg Provenance so I can't offer any comparison.
Di Blasi

Postby enzot » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi

The Lagavulin 21 Y.O was the best whisky I tasted last year.If you like Lagavulin the 21 Y.O was one of the best ever bottled.It was £110 at release but now sells for £150-£230 depending where you look.

Enzo...
enzot

Postby Knolly » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:12 pm

MacLlyr wrote:Can anyone tell me how rare the Lagavulin 21 YO OB is? Is it numbered, if so how many were bottled? As well what years was it bottled? As well can anyone tell me how it stacks up against Ardbeg Provenance?

Hey MacLlyr:

In terms of taste vs. Provenance, well they are both awesome bottles. Some will prefer the Provenance (and there are at least three "different" Provenances - I've managed to taste two of them: the European and the American releases), some the Laga 21 and some other bottles (Laphoaig and Brora 30 YOs comes to mind, not to mention various Port Ellens, older Longmorns, etc...). So, like anything, it's a matter of personal preference. One thing, though, is that while these are all great bottles, they are also costly bottles.

Regarding "collecting or speculating" on them: well, that's tough (no one can predict the future) and not a very popular topic around these places for reasons that we all know (i.e. reduces availability and drives up the prices of special bottles, which many aficionados already consider to be over priced). As has already been mentioned, Laga 21is a limited release, but then so again were the 25 and 30 yo Lagavulin bottles. Also, the Brora 30 annual releases have also been fantastic bottles: the 2007 is about 30-40% more expensive than the Laga 21, but the 2007 release was only 1/3rd the size of the Laga 21 release (and the bottles are ranked "higher" in most reviews, such as the Malt Maniacs' website). Still, for so "few" bottles (just over 2000 compared to about 6600 for the Laga 21), you can easily still find Brora 30 kicking around. Plus these are all Diageo limited releases and actually, they (Diageo) seems to be pretty good at charging top dollar for bottles by hyping up demand for bottlings with "limited remaining" stock, especially from closed distilleries such as Port Ellen and Brora. These would be - IMO - more collectible bottles, but Brora doesn't seem to enjoy the same collecting interest that Port Ellen does, even though it's a better whisky IMO.

Will Laga 21 increase in cost over the years? Perhaps and obviously there are people selling it online even now, though you'd have to be stupid to buy it at inflated prices in the USA because there is quite a bit of it available through regular channels. This is different in Europe though, where stocks of Laga 21 sold out quickly.

So, like anything, i would buy a bottle first and see if you like it - if so, then great! If you can afford it, buy some more to have for the future. However, if you're planning to watch your laga 21 reach Ardbeg Provenance or Bowmore Black pricing and cashing in on that, I think there are better ways to make money.

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby MacLlyr » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:45 pm

I am not looking for future profit, just future enjoyment for very special occasions.
MacLlyr

Postby recordmeister » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:28 pm

I know of a shop in central London where they still sell it for £110. PM me and I will let you know where...

http://www.caskstrength.net
recordmeister
Bronze Member

Postby psr-740 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:52 pm

The lagavulin 21 is the best whiskey I Know.
I have the Provenance, and the lagavulin 21.
There is no whiskey that I know of that has such a strong incredible aroma (the laga 30yo is very pale in the aroma compared) follow with flavor and finish. extremely unique among others and unbelievable Delicious.
psr-740

Postby Knolly » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:35 pm

MacLlyr wrote:I am not looking for future profit, just future enjoyment for very special occasions.

Sorry - didn't mean to take anything out of context; just your original post had a bit of that flavour that seemed to be more interested in the "limited release" nature of the product vs. the "enjoyment" of it. Personally, I don't care because I'm well stocked on this bottle (I really, really love it!) :D

You will do well to get yourself and bottle to enjoy - as everyone here has said (and I'm guessing since it's a Lagavulin thread, we're all lovers of Lagavulin) this bottle is phenomenal and the nose is mind blowingly good. If I was Jim Murray I would have to rank it 97 or 98 pts because he ranks the 16YO at 95 pts and this is the only way that I can see it ranking. Seriously, the nose and the finish will have to score a 25 / 25 for both of those categories - you can taste this one for 45 minutes after your last sip! Frankly, if the 16YO gets 95 pts, then I would have to rank the 21 YO at something like 117 pts - it's that good... :P

Cheers and enjoy!
Knolly
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Lagavulin 21 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder