Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park 40 Year Old

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Highland Park 40 Years Old

Highland Park 40 Year Old

Postby sievm » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi Folks,

Just got the latest HP newsletter:

"This month sees the release of Highland Park 40 year old. It is not a "here today, gone tomorrow" single cask we have uncovered in the warehouse - Highland Park 40 year old is a permanent addition to the range.

Highland Park 40 year old has been largely matured in refill casks, that is to say casks that have previously been used to mature whisky. If first fill casks had been used, the sweetness would have been too strident. The long-term nature of the maturation of Highland Park 40 year old allows time for the perfect balance to be achieved.

The colour, as with all bottlings of Highland Park, is entirely natural; the delicate paleness of the whisky is down to the judicious use of refill casks.

The strength is relatively high at 48.3% to deliver maximum flavour.

The initial reaction from the global whisky community has been extremely positive. In this month's Whisky Magazine our 40 year old is the Editors Choice and Dave Broom describes it as "A stunningly great whisky. One of the finest I've had for a considerable time"

Highland Park 40 year old is available at a recommended retail price of £899."

At £899 it is 5 times the cost of the 30 and 15 times the cost of the 18 which seems steep to me. :shock: :dead:

So, my question would be - who will be drinking this?
sievm
Bronze Member

Re: Highland Park 40 Year Old

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:02 pm

Hoover, Dyson? Where are you? :lol:

There will be people buying this but I doubt it will just fly off the shelves. I'd suggest that it will be more collectors than the quaffers.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:03 pm

I will.

If I win the lottery! :P
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:10 pm

sievm wrote:Highland Park 40 year old has been largely matured in refill casks, that is to say casks that have previously been used to mature whisky. If first fill casks had been used, the sweetness would have been too strident.

In a bit of a cosmic coincidence, I've been meaning to post a question on the difference between using first fill and refill sherry casks...

Thanks, HP. :thumbsup:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby sievm » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:26 pm

Can't see many collectors getting excited about it if it is a general release - with a limited edition price tag.
sievm
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:10 pm

I agree CI. It seems to be right in line with what is being charged for Bruichladdich 40. I think Laphroaig 40 sells for something a little less. Glenfarclas 40 is more than double. As I recall the new Dalmore 40 will be a little bit higher.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby adogranonthepitch » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:57 pm

I have had the pleasure of tasting the 40yo HP. Very nice but very woody. Ni`ce but not GBP900.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:00 pm

So much for the Hoover.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:04 pm

adogranonthepitch wrote:Ni`ce but not GBP900.

To be honest, I couldn't really imagine spending £900 on a whisky to drink. I still find it vaguely obscene that I opened a bottle of Talisker 25. Delicious though the greatest whiskies are, I simply can't value a mere bottle of whisky above a return flight to Australia.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:28 pm

Of course I could value a closed bottle of whisky at £900 or more - I value my Laphroaig 1960 at more than that. But if I were offered a choice of a return flight to Oz or an open bottle of whisky, I would go for the flight. And if Oz holds no appeal, it could be a flight to anywhere. Or if travel doesn't float your boat, then there's plenty else to do with £900. I couldn't imagine ever finding it easy to spend that much (or lose that potential income) in return for 70cl of a drink.
Deactivated Member

Postby Knolly » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:05 am

Nick Brown wrote:Of course I could value a closed bottle of whisky at £900 or more - I value my Laphroaig 1960 at more than that. But if I were offered a choice of a return flight to Oz or an open bottle of whisky, I would go for the flight. And if Oz holds no appeal, it could be a flight to anywhere. Or if travel doesn't float your boat, then there's plenty else to do with £900. I couldn't imagine ever finding it easy to spend that much (or lose that potential income) in return for 70cl of a drink.

Ya, but there are people with money to spend and they will spend it! I mean, Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari all exist and no one needs to spend that kind of money on a car. But, people do. They buy them because of their interest in these vehicles and their performance (hopefully) and also as status symbols. HP40 is a fraction of the cost of the cheapest Boxster.

Hell, Louis Vuitton sells basic wallets for $250 and shoulder bags for $1000-2000 (not to mention that they also indirectly sell Ardbeg Double Barrel); I'm sure the buyers are out there! Some might be serious whisky drinkers; probably a large percentage will be the same people that buy JW Blue King George.
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:23 am

Nick Brown wrote:
adogranonthepitch wrote:Ni`ce but not GBP900.

To be honest, I couldn't really imagine spending £900 on a whisky to drink. I still find it vaguely obscene that I opened a bottle of Talisker 25. Delicious though the greatest whiskies are, I simply can't value a mere bottle of whisky above a return flight to Australia.

We'd pay double to get you a one-way, Nick! :P

The price, as compared to the 18 and 30, doesn't surprise me at all; all things being equal, one would expect it to rise exponentially as the years add up, graphing parabolically rather than lineally. As I have said many times, whether a bottle is worth £900 to you depends as much on what you think of £900 as what you think of the whisky. There are people out there who wouldn't bat an eyelash at spending £900 on a prestige purchase, and HP figures there are about as many of them as there will be bottles for sale. The thing that gets my eyelashes batty is the notion that this will be a "permanent" expression--quite aside from the fact that there is, of course, no such thing, it leads me to infer that there is sufficient stock in the pipeline to guarantee the vatting of new batches into the indefinite future. There must be quite a lot (relatively speaking) of 40yo and near-40yo whisky in the warehouse. Could this possibly have been great foresight, or just happenstance? I find it hard to make a compelling case for either.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:39 am

Of course there are people who have money and will spend it. On The Apprentice, the contestants found people willing to pay £3000 or thereabouts to hire a car for a day. It was a nice car but - like the £900 whisky - out of my league.

As for making the 40yo - I guess people don't set out on day 1 to make 40yo whisky. But some casks might be marked as special and left to mature on. Perhaps there were some 33 or 34 yo casks stored to go into the 30yo, and perhaps HP wondered whether they might be left to get to 40 (it's rare to see 38yo whisky!). At £900 a bottle, you probably don't need much stock to keep up a steady supply of 40yo.
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:58 am

Well I can tell you it is very nice, big rich flavours and the wood isn't dominating it. All sorts going on from chocolate to oranges. Sorry not much of a tasting note but I was enjoying it too much to make any :thumbsup:
Matt2

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:33 am

In truth its probably no better that the 30 yo - which was OK but not a good as the 25 yo which is questionably better than the 18yo.
Waste of money if you ask me. I forget the name of the syndrome - a trick the marketing boys love to play on the gullible or collectors- the more expensive it is the better it must be!
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:19 am

Criefy I refer to it as the Emporer's new clothes syndrome.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi there,

an ongoing release?

40 years back takes us to 1968. After the slump of the end of the 1950s and into the 1960s the boom of the beginning 1970s used up almost everything that was distilled from 1960 onward. From the mid 1960s to about 1971 the sale of blended whisky worldwide trippled. That is the reason so little malt from the begining 1960s is left. It all went into blends.

Producers enlarged their stocks with the beginning boom which as we know led to the overproduction and the cisis of the early 1980s when the next slump came.

So yes, there could well be larger stocks of 1967 and 1968 Highland Park. They represent the stocks that made the 30 year olds in 1997 and the following years as well as the 25 year old expression since then of course. And the stocks laid down in 1969, 1970 etc. will guarantee that there can be more HP 40.

As you can only sell so much 25 and 30 year old HP, the rest of yours casks get older. The beginning boom was evident 6-7 years ago so the risk of letting these cask mature further was low.
And it was becoming clear by that time that there would be a high end market for such an old expression.

"This month sees the release of Highland Park 40 year old. It is not a "here today, gone tomorrow" single cask we have uncovered in the warehouse - Highland Park 40 year old is a permanent addition to the range."

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:16 pm

Very nice post, kallaskander! :thumbsup:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:28 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
Perhaps there were some 33 or 34 yo casks stored to go into the 30yo, and perhaps HP wondered whether they might be left to get to 40 (it's rare to see 38yo whisky!). At £900 a bottle, you probably don't need much stock to keep up a steady supply of 40yo.

I think you're right, Nick. HP has been selling single casks to Binny's and others for years but I heard from Binny's that HP has discontinued their single cask program. I'm sure their decision to produce a 40yo had something to do with it.
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi there,

many reasons. Prices for 40 year old malts among them.

MALT MANIACS NEWSFLASH by Olivier
THE NEW HIGHLAND PARK 40 YO

Highland Park distillery has been releasing recently a number of excellent single casks and a wonderful 21yo.
Shortage of single malts produced in the period 1995/1996 also means that the regular 12yo contains a higher proportion of older malts, going back to some 27yo casks. No whisky from this distillery contains anymore caramel for colour adjustment, which means that the colour consistency is achieved with older/sherry casks in higher proportions.

Highland Park is also about to release in April a 40yo at 48.3% as a regular non numbered bottling. Retail price should be around £899.

TASTING NOTES:
Highland Park 40yo (48.3%, OB, 2008) The colour is gold amber, not tired at all. Highland Park 40
The nose exhibits intense fruity aromas, underlined with the typical heathery/peat character that makes this distillery so distinctive. Light creosote, liquorice, apples, pears flavours, heather, honey, raisins and sherry notes all fight together to reveal some stunning character. The palate is more peaty than the 25yo or 30yo official release. It feels almost medicinal/organic and definitely maritime, very long and powerful (amazing strength for a 40yo!). The sherry influence is great. Some light sulphurs bring some gunflint flavours. Of course there is also some oak on the finish, but it feels nicely integrated. I would call this whisky a masterpiece and can only salute the work of the team at Highland Park that crafted this bottling. Perhaps there are a couple of 'emotional' points included in my 96pts rating, but there is nothing I would add or take away from this whisky.- Olivier Humbrecht

http://www.whiskyfun.com/archiveapril08-2.html#180408

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Now that's what I call a rave review! Still can't pony up the freight to try it tho... :(

Now if I can get a couple of co-conspirators (ok, a few...) then maybe there's light at the end of that tunnel... :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:09 pm

If anyone's interested in picking up a bottle, LFW have just added it to their catalogue and have priced it at a very modest £690.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:21 pm

So Tross, how many are you going to get?? :D :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:00 pm

Collector57 wrote:Really, Mr Picky!!

MrTattieHeid wrote:lineally
:shock: :P

Nowt wrong wid dat. 8)

I was going to type "linearly", but it felt awkward. "Lineal" is usually used to refer to matters of generational descent, but according to dictionary.com, one of the accepted definitions is "linear".

In the interest of clarity, edit to read "all linear-like".
Deactivated Member

Postby lincoln imp » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:34 pm

adogranonthepitch wrote:I have had the pleasure of tasting the 40yo HP. Very nice but very woody. Ni`ce but not GBP900.

Dog in your opinion how does the 40yr compare to the 30yr for taste etc.I love the 30. The 40 is 4 x the price does it taste 4 times as good i wonder.
cHEERS
LI :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:25 pm

Of course not--if it tasted twice as good, it would cost ten times as much. See parabolic vs all linear-like above.

I agrre with Crieftan that the 25 is better than the 30 (although that is based on only one dram of the latter). The 40? Doubt I'll ever know. Won't lose any sleep over it.
Deactivated Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:10 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Of course not--if it tasted twice as good, it would cost ten times as much. See parabolic vs all linear-like above.

I agrre with Crieftan that the 25 is better than the 30 (although that is based on only one dram of the latter). The 40? Doubt I'll ever know. Won't lose any sleep over it.

No Mr TH believe me the 30 is superior to the any of the 25 yr, even the 50.7%, mind the 25yr is still very good compared to other whisky. :wink:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:29 am

Sorry, imp, I won't take your word for it. The dram I had of the 30 was woody and dry. If you want to change my mind, you'll have to send me a bottle.
Deactivated Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:29 am

Collector57 wrote:Pah!!
As you know LI, I place the 53.5 at the top of the 25 yos !

Right you are, Nick. The 53.5% is the best 25yo.

But only if you can't get the 50.7% or the 48.1 or the 51.5% or ... :P :P
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:14 am

Collector57 wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Of course not--if it tasted twice as good, it would cost ten times as much. See parabolic vs all linear-like above.

No Mr TH believe me the 30 is superior to the any of the 25 yr, even the 50.7%, mind the 25yr is still very good compared to other whisky. :wink:

Pah!!
As you know LI, I place the 53.5 at the top of the 25 yos !

Nick, you know your trouble?
You are just too sentimental
I suppose its like your first true love :wink: :thumbsup: :wink: :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:39 am

I'd say the 50.7 25yo is the best of the HP OBs that I have had recently. It has a smokiness that adds an extra depth and complexity. It also has a procession of flavours rather than everything arriving on the palate at once.

The 30yo is smooth, chocolatey, has tons of heather honey, and is a very, very good example of that type of whisky. It lacks the smokiness of the 25 and some of the fruitiness of younger expressions.

The 25yo wasn't quite as smooth and sweet as the 30yo and I can see that for some, that would be a failing.

It all boils down to personal preference, though, and what people want to see in their whiskies.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:59 pm

This is what mine looks like:

Deactivated Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:14 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I'd say the 50.7 25yo is the best of the HP OBs that I have had recently. It has a smokiness that adds an extra depth and complexity. It also has a procession of flavours rather than everything arriving on the palate at once.

The 30yo is smooth, chocolatey, has tons of heather honey, and is a very, very good example of that type of whisky. It lacks the smokiness of the 25 and some of the fruitiness of younger expressions.

The 25yo wasn't quite as smooth and sweet as the 30yo and I can see that for some, that would be a failing.

It all boils down to personal preference, though, and what people want to see in their whiskies.

Nick
That makes perfect sense to me :thumbsup:
I was just telling myself i had a more refined palate than other people.
:wink: :lol:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby I_SPEY » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:31 pm