Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig QC vs Laphroaig 10

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Laphroaig QC vs Laphroaig 10

Postby DrChimRichalds » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:11 pm

Looking for some advice on the Lap QC. I've had the 10 and didn't find it too much to my liking, wasn't awful just very peaty and singularly grassy. How different is the QC in comparison to the 10?

Background: I enjoy Islay malts especially Lagavulin 16 and Bowmore 12 and will be buying Ardbeg 10 soon. Also really enjoy the Jura 10. Would you recommend the Lap QC for me?

:?
DrChimRichalds

Re: Laphroaig QC vs Laphroaig 10

Postby orangedogofglory » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:20 pm

I particularly liked the QC over the 10, but would probably say that the QC is more of just straight peat. Probably not the complexity you are looking for.

Perhaps try the 15 - its a great malt and incorporates other flavors.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby DrChimRichalds » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 am

Thanks orangedog for breaking it down for me. Sounds like the 15 is more my style and more complex. Thanks.
:mrgreen:
DrChimRichalds

Postby orangedogofglory » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:22 am

DrChimRichalds wrote:Thanks orangedog for breaking it down for me. Sounds like the 15 is more my style and more complex. Thanks.
:mrgreen:

hopefully that helps - I don't really think you can go wrong with either the 15 or QC - and, as you work your way through Islay, you may like to try out Caol Ila - the 18 for example is a little lighter on the smoke notes but adds some other elements such as fruit.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:57 pm

Yes the QC is a slightly sweeter and smother version of the 10yo and if your not overly keen on the 10 the QC may not be a big enough jump for you but as mentioned the 15 I think is delicious :wink:

However I'm a big Laphroaig fan ...... I would describe the 15 as a mix of lap 10 & Lagavulin 16.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Regardless of the money, my preference is for the 10. I find the QC a bit too woody and sweet for me. The most current bottling I had was fruity on top of being full of the peat smoke. Older versions of the 10 didn't quite have as much depth to me.

Oh yes, the 15 is a much more balanced whisky than 10, QC or 10 cask strength.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 pm

I prefer the QC over the 10 (I think it's bland), but I prefer the 10 Cask Strength over them all. The 15 is a nice elegant Islay but there's nothing like the CS, I love how it's wave of peat washes over me like a tsunami, it's extraordinaire and exhilarating all at the same time!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:38 pm

Wave wrote:I prefer the QC over the 10 (I think it's bland), but I prefer the 10 Cask Strength over them all. The 15 is a nice elegant Islay but there's nothing like the CS, I love how it's wave of peat washes over me like a tsunami, it's extraordinaire and exhilarating all at the same time!

Cheers!

sounds like the upside of a "end of the world tsunami" scenario... I have not yet tried the CS and have thought of ordering a bottle... I may just have to now. :thumbsup:
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:38 am

Look Ron, I know that's you :)

I don't really like either, but prefer the QC. I would go for the 15yo or an IB.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:37 am

I prefer the Lappy 10 as well, it's got the right amount of "grab you by the throat and shake you" subtlety when I'm in the mood for a whisky that makes a firm statement.

The QC is another that I wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers but it is, IMHO, a gentler version of the 10. Given my druthers, I'd 'druther the 10.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby borgom » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:05 am

From your tastes it seems to me that you like the islays that have sherry/caramel elements to balance out the natural islay character.
Based on that I think you should try the following:
-Laga Distillers Ed
-Laph 15
-Ardbeg Uigedail
-independant sherry cask Laph (the OMC bottlings are good)
-Idependant sherry cask Jura (the Matt Forrest bottlings are good)

It's up to you of course :) but I wouldn't rush out to buy a bottle of Laph QC, Laph CS, Ardbeg 10 & Caol Ila based on what you have described liking the most. Maybe best to try these by the glass first...
borgom
Gold Member

Postby 1holegrouper » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Laphroaig 10 I think is great for a "cheap" daily dram of peat. I know it is low end for what Laph can produce but I respect it and feel it is worth the money- it fills a niche that no other peaty SM does for its price. QC, as said earlier, is a slight upgrade but IMHO not worth the $10 increase in price. Some folks may not appreciate its increase in sweetness. That said, I find Ardbeg 10 (where I live cost the same as QC) worth the extra $10 and a giant leap in taste. Now, if I was rich I would make Lava 16 my daily dram...
Last edited by 1holegrouper on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1holegrouper

Postby Kernow » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:17 pm

Go for the QC over the 10 , i do evertime. As for price if u shop around the QC is sometimes cheaper than the 10! or if not only a pound or 2 more. Currently http://www.getwhisky.com/ have QC at £23.99 :thumbsup: and the 10 is £28.50!

Saying all this the Caol Ila 12yr has currently knocked the QC of the top spot for me.
Kernow
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:34 pm

1holegrouper wrote:Laphroaig 10 I think is great for a "cheap" daily dram of peat. I know it is low end for what Laph can produce but I respect it and feel it is worth the money- it fills a niche that no other peaty SM does for its price. QC, as said earlier, is a slight upgrade but IMHO not worth the $10 increase in price. Some folks may not appreaciate its increase in sweetness. That said, I find Ardbeg 10 (where I live cost the same as QC) worth the extra $10 and a giant leap in taste. Now, if I was rich I would make Lava 16 my daily dram...

Lava 16?? This I gotta try! One of those Michael Jackson described as volcanic? MUST be a Talisker, then?!

From what has been written on these posts, you will see that a great many peaty Islay malts find favour here.
For me, I love the QC and the CS Laphroaig, and always enjoy the 10, though I would tend to buy the two stronger ones, but would gladly receive a bottle of 10 as a gift!. The only 15 I ever tried was so weak it must have been an 'off', or very old and nearly empty bottle...and the 10 is the one I regularly drink the least, and pretty much the first Islay I tried...but it still surprises. An unmistakeable, unforgettable dram that is great value for money.

In some ways, as an all-rounder, it's hard to beat the Ardbeg 10. Someone else just posted Caol Ila 12 as their favourite...

so ultimately, the answer to the question "which is your favourite Islay?" would have to be, for me:
"Whichever one I have in my glass right now!"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Gilles Deleuze » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:55 pm

I think the QC is pretty classy, especially if you manage to find it for under $50.
I'm a big Laphroaig fan, but when it comes down to it for me it's a toss-up between the CS and the 15.
Why not try the 15? As IWC said, it's sort of like a mixture of Laph 10 and Laga 16. A word of advice, however, if you look for the 15: prices on this bottle seem to vary enormously, reaching upwards of $100. If you look around, though, you can still find it for $60 or less. I just got one for $55... :D
Gilles Deleuze
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:37 am

Reggaeblues wrote:
1holegrouper wrote:Laphroaig 10 I think is great for a "cheap" daily dram of peat. I know it is low end for what Laph can produce but I respect it and feel it is worth the money- it fills a niche that no other peaty SM does for its price. QC, as said earlier, is a slight upgrade but IMHO not worth the $10 increase in price. Some folks may not appreaciate its increase in sweetness. That said, I find Ardbeg 10 (where I live cost the same as QC) worth the extra $10 and a giant leap in taste. Now, if I was rich I would make Lava 16 my daily dram...

so ultimately, the answer to the question "which is your favourite Islay?" would have to be, for me:
"Whichever one I have in my glass right now!"

This is a very accurate statement!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:08 am

I would go for the Laph 15.
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby jb9492 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:20 am

Hi,

The QC is nothing like the 10. The QC is sweet on the nose and palate, with an undercurrent of peat and smoke.

Nothing about the QC is overpowering or too peaty. I'm buying Ardbeg Nam Beist specifically bc the QC and Lagv are too sweet and not deep enough in an "earthy" sense.

Hope this helps.

Happy Drams,

JB
jb9492

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder