Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Very Young

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Very Young

Ardbeg Very Young

Postby recordmeister » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:39 am

When I was over at Feis Ile, I did the Managers Tasting on the Ardbeg Open Day. One of the whiskies tried was the Very Young. At the end of the day, as we were helping clear the site I asked if I could take home one of the empty bottles of Very Young (it is sad, but I like to have a collection of empty bottles as much as full ones). A few weeks later, Michael Heads was over for an Ardbeg tasting at The Whisky Exchange and one of the whiskies he bought with him was the Very Young. TWE kept one of the empty bottles for their Ardbeg display (currently in the shop). When I was there this weekend, they pointed out something interesting to me. The fonts on the labels of the empty bottle and the old, full bottle that they have in store are different. So I rushed home to check mine out too. And lo! The full bottle I have in my collection (which I bought direct from the distillery about 2 years ago) and the empty bottle (which I got direct from the distillery about 2 months ago) are indeed different.

The main difference are the font for Very Young, and the fact that the phrase "first fill" does not have "" marks around it. Only boxes with x's in. Odd. My guess is that they had a few bottles left over and needed to get labels done for them, but had lost the original template. This was as good as the original so they printed some up and whacked them on the bottles. Bob's your Uncle, some more Very Young!

Have a look at the attachment. I hope it works. I've never put a picture on this forum before...

cheers

http://www.caskstrength.net

avy2.jpg
avy2.jpg (128.55 KiB) Viewed 908 times
recordmeister
Bronze Member

Re: Ardbeg Very Young

Postby r900p » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:09 am

'Established in' is also missing.

Interesting though.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:19 am

Here's an alternative answer. I seem to recall that Mickey told me they had got the bottles back from an overseas market as there were none left in the UK. Different labels for different markets I guess.

Cheers
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:45 am

the boxed X's are I would imagine are typescript errors .....

Basically where the computer used to print the labels did not have all the same type fonts that the computer used to generate the label design had... the missing characters defaulting to a Boxed X

That would be my guess anyway
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby DavidH » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:39 pm

Sounds like the classic Microsoft Smart Quotes problem. You type something up in Word, using straight quotes (" or ') and Word thinks "aha, I know what you meant to type" and curls them for you. Unfortunately it uses non-standard characters for the curly quotes so when you display the text anywhere except in a Microsoft product they appear corrupted. You see it all over the web.
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:43 pm

DavidH wrote:Sounds like the classic Microsoft Smart Quotes problem. You type something up in Word, using straight quotes (" or ') and Word thinks "aha, I know what you meant to type" and curls them for you. Unfortunately it uses non-standard characters for the curly quotes so when you display the text anywhere except in a Microsoft product they appear corrupted. You see it all over the web.

Smart quotes are also swinish when you are trying to type in Gaelic.
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Very Young

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder