Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Home Brewing Whisky???

General chat and talk about whisky.

Home Brewing Whisky???

Postby moyboy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:48 am

Hi Folks, I looked to see if this has been talked about before (my apologies if it has) but i couldn't find it, so away we go.

I am looking to do some home brewing of spirits, and i am going to get some whisky happening.

I have a 15 litre American Oak barrel (brand new) and i plan to fill it up and leave it for a few years.

I would love to get some form of extra flavour happening (not to say that new American oak isn't nice, I have never tried a whisky with this flavour alone) and i was wondering if any of the distilleries cut up old casks and sell the wood to the smaller domestic user like myself to add to my barrel?

I wood love to think that i could have a bit of peaty wood to put in. mmmmmmmmmm

I was looking on the net and you can get new small barrels that have been lightly charred on the inside. What sort of end result do you think that would give??

I would love to get my hands on a used red wine or port cask but they are as rare as rocking horse sh*t. And I live 20 minutes away from one of the biggest wine producing areas in Australia. Go figure... :twisted:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.. :thumbsup:
moyboy

Re: Home Brewing Whisky???

Postby Newbie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:26 pm

If its a first fill (brand new wood) American Oak Cask I wouldn't add anymore wood to it (like the wood chips you were proposing). It would definitely add too much wood influence. You would probably get a better result if you used a peaty whisky if thats the flavour profile your going for.

Try this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7700
Gold Member

Re: Home Brewing Whisky???

Postby moyboy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:15 pm

Thanks Newbie, It's a good read!!!! :thumbsup:
moyboy

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder