Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Gone Off Beer?/The Medicinal Qualities of Strong Whiskey

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Gone Off Beer?/The Medicinal Qualities of Strong Whiskey

Postby cathach » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:49 am

Has any one else ever come across this? I opened a bottle of stout I had been really looking forward to; I took a sip and realised it tasted rank. More specifically it smelled like ten-day old mackerel left out in the sun, really, really bad fish.
Is that E.Coli or something thats got into the bottle?
The offie gave me a new bottle but in a case like this you ideally want to never have had any in the first place. Thanks to that one unsuspecting sip I've spent the whole evening feeling queasy.

On to the second point, I have decided to tackle this head-on with strong whiskey to be taken in medicinal quantities like Redbreast 15 and the end of a bottle of Lagavulin 16. Both sovereign cures.

I'm already feeling a good bit better and my question is this: Have you ever found the judicious application of whiskey to cure or prevent or lessen an ailment??

In Ireland (the home of whiskey of course!) it's often called "the cure".
cathach
Silver Member

Re: Gone Off Beer?/The Medicinal Qualities of Strong Whiskey

Postby TheTross » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:09 am

I remember that the late Michael Jackson described St Magdalene/Linlithgow as being 'restorative'. He appeared to have been right; I've actually found that one or two drams (of any good whisky actually, not just St Maggie) seems to relieve any muscle ache and general fatigue I have after a hard night's shift. And it helps me get a decent day's kip :P

I'm curious though. What measurement constitutes a medicinal quantity exactly?
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby cathach » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:35 am

TheTross wrote:I'm curious though. What measurement constitutes a medicinal quantity exactly?

Just about enough.

It's interesting; the English galore comes from the Gaelic/Irish "go leor" = "to sufficiency"
cathach
Silver Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:31 am

the standard answer I've heard is that alcohol thins the blood - similar effect to aspirin. that would explain why your muscle aches would go away.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:39 am

A dram of whisky really does help settle stomach problems, either stomach aches or even the runs.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby LeoDLion » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Whenever I get a bad cold it starts first as a scratchy throat. When that happens, I gargle with whisky. I take a swallow, tip my head back a bit and let the liquid gargle down my throat. Of course I swallow it too. And do it 2 or 3 times.

The scratchy throat may or may not develop into a bad cold but at least I feel a lot better now.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby DavidH » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:19 pm

cathach wrote:Have you ever found the judicious application of whiskey to cure or prevent or lessen an ailment??

Oh, most definitely. I call it "Traditional Irish Medicine" (TIM).

I take whiskey and chocolate when I've got a cold. My theory is that it either hastens a recovery or it doesn't but at least having a cold has one upside, ie guilt-free whiskey and chocolate.

Also, if I feel something threatening me - the hint of a cold, sore throat or whatever, then I take whiskey as a prophylactic. It works as well as anything else!
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:07 pm

DavidH wrote:
cathach wrote:
Also, if I feel something threatening me - the hint of a cold, sore throat or whatever, then I take whiskey as a prophylactic. It works as well as anything else!

I hope your using that as an adjective rather than a noun :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby DavidH » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:29 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I hope your using that as an adjective rather than a noun :lol:

What are you sniggering at Master Chaser? I'm afraid it's a noun. Now what could you possibly be thinking of??? :D
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:43 pm

I wouldn't use whiskey so as it may have the opposite effect desired :wink:

Main Entry:
(1)pro-phy-lac-tic
Pronunciation:
\ˌprō-fə-ˈlak-tik also ˌprä-\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Greek prophylaktikos, from prophylassein to be on guard, from pro- before + phylassein to guard, from phylak-, phylax guard
Date:
1 : guarding from or preventing the spread or occurrence of disease or infection 2 : tending to prevent or ward off : preventive
- pro-phy-lac-ti-cal-ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Main Entry:
(2)prophylactic
Function:
noun
Date:
: something prophylactic; especially : a device and especially a condom for preventing venereal infection or conception
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Newbie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:53 pm

TheTross wrote:I'm curious though. What measurement constitutes a medicinal quantity exactly?

My definition would be anything that makes you feel better.

I'm afraid it's a noun

DavidH - genius, so when you buy a girl a whisky its two birds with one stone :wink:
Gold Member

Postby DavidH » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:00 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:noun: something prophylactic; ...

It's such a handy word, I'm trying to reclaim it for general usage. :)
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby DavidH » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:01 pm

Newbie wrote:

My definition would be anything that makes you feel better.

Or feel nothing.
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby Newbie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:05 pm

It's such a handy word, I'm trying to reclaim it for general usage.

Lets all go down to our local pharmacy and ask for a prophylactic, who ever comes back with the best/wierdest thing wins :lol:
Gold Member

Postby DavidH » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:36 pm

Newbie wrote:Lets all go down to our local pharmacy and ask for a prophylactic, who ever comes back with the best/wierdest thing wins :lol:

:D

I remember one day at the office, a German guy brought in a bottle of spirits from his hometown. He told us he bought it at a pharmacy and that it was also used as a rubbing alcohol for horses :shock:

We all had a shot. Potent stuff. Wish I could remember the name so I could be sure to avoid it in the future.

Anyway, the Germans might have an advantage in this competition if they really sell such things in their pharmacies.
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby cathach » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:17 pm

DavidH wrote:I remember one day at the office, a German guy brought in a bottle of spirits from his hometown. He told us he bought it at a pharmacy and that it was also used as a rubbing alcohol for horses :shock:

We all had a shot. Potent stuff. Wish I could remember the name so I could be sure to avoid it in the future.

Was it called Stroh? I saw this before when I lived in Berlin, I never had the guts to try it. I know a guy who did though he said it was the worst thing he'd ever had in his life, and that includes the old-dashioned rank cod liver oil.

http://www.spirituosen-grosshandel.de/pic/2474715t.jpg
cathach
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Prophylaxis is a very common medical concept--it means simply prevention, or preventative measures. I find myself bemused by those whose tiny minds lead them to snigger at perfectly good words used in everyday intercourse.
Deactivated Member

Postby Newbie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:46 pm

Its a fantastic word and should be used more often.
Prophylactic should be used in everyday intercourse.
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Newbie wrote:Its a fantastic word and should be used more often.

Very droll :D

Whisky was alweays used when I was a child to aid the pain associated with gripe. I never had gripe myself (not a word anyone) but learned to mimic the symptoms early on. All was well until the parents discovered calpol. Life was never easy after that :cry:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:38 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Prophylaxis is a very common medical concept--it means simply prevention, or preventative measures. I find myself bemused by those whose tiny minds lead them to snigger at perfectly good words used in everyday intercourse.

Crieftan wrote:
Newbie wrote:Its a fantastic word and should be used more often.

Very droll :D

Crikey...subtlety is lost on you lot. Newbie, the proper response would have been "He said intercourse...heh-heh...heh-heh."

8)
Deactivated Member

Postby RogerB » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:29 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I wouldn't use whiskey so as it may have the opposite effect desired :wink:

Main Entry:
(1)pro-phy-lac-tic
Pronunciation:
\ˌprō-fə-ˈlak-tik also ˌprä-\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Greek prophylaktikos, from prophylassein to be on guard, from pro- before + phylassein to guard, from phylak-, phylax guard
Date:
1 : guarding from or preventing the spread or occurrence of disease or infection 2 : tending to prevent or ward off : preventive
- pro-phy-lac-ti-cal-ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Main Entry:
(2)prophylactic
Function:
noun
Date:
: something prophylactic; especially : a device and especially a condom for preventing venereal infection or conception

If taken orally, then this may be true, but if used topically, it still may have some efficacy as a prophylactic. :mrgreen:
RogerB
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder