Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

crown royal 1948

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.
Related whiskies : Crown Royal

crown royal 1948

Postby frankythekid » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:19 am

Hello i'm new here and in the famous world of whisky.

I'm from Quebec canada .

I just receive a bottle of crown royal whisky 1948 not open nice colors perfect conservation...

And i want to know did i open it or wait, i can decide because i don't know how much is value did i keep it for a very special event or did i taste it alone relaxing at home.

Please help me my finger is burning to taste that old whisky.
frankythekid

Re: crown royal 1948

Postby oldrip57 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:21 am

I'd say open it. While it's surely worth a premium above today's Crown Royal price, the elevation of such premium is reduced by the industrial-sized production of the bottlings. In other words, there is almost NO Crown Royal that is truly rare unless you go WAAAYYYY back in time. Also, it hasn't changed that much over the years, taste-wise, so a 1948 might not be any more interesting than a 1964 (which I happen to have finished recently, to great disappointment).
Still, the difference between 'old' and 'modern' bottlings is recognizable and interesting but only, of course, if you have an 'old' bottle such as yours for comparison.
In any case, it's not going to make you rich. Feel better?
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby frankythekid » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:11 am

thanks i'm a little bit disapointed but i will wait for another opinion...no offense its just that i want to be sure before openning this bottle but i really appreciate your answer thanks a lot,

PS: Sorry for my poor english its because i speak french better than english.
frankythekid

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:31 am

I'd have it valued. If the money is worth more than the experience, then I'd sell it. In fact, if oldrip is correct and it hasn't changed much in all the years, there isn't as much point in drinking it, as you can get a cheap modern version.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby frankythekid » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:26 am

thanks i will try to find somewere that can tell me the value of it ... but where make it valued .
frankythekid

Postby Aidan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:44 am

You could write in to whisky magazine. They have a valuer who answers questions in every issue. Or you could go to an auction house like McTears (http://www.mctears.co.uk).
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Also try http://www.straightbourbon.com/ those guys may have a better Idea as it is closer to a home market.
irishwhiskeychaser

Related whiskies : Crown Royal

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder