Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park 15yrs and 18yrs Tasting Notes?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Highland Park 15yrs and 18yrs Tasting Notes?

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi! I am new to the forum and certainly not a connosieur of scotch, but i do love the stuff. I was wondering if anyone could describe the taste of Highland Park 15yr and also the 18yr? I dont like a peaty flavour. I am a big fan of Johnnie Walker Gold (yes, i know it is a blend, but i dont care, it is the taste that i enjoy, not the manner of distilling). In a word, I like a silky, honeyed flavour profile.

Any comments would be most appreciated.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Re: Highland Park 15yrs and 18yrs Tasting Notes?

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:07 pm

Here's a thread with tasting notes a-plenty. Especially on page 4 onwards:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7835

If you like silky, honeyed flavours then Highland Park is the first distillery most people would think of, but Scapa and Glenfarclas (to name but two) may be worth a look in.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:11 pm

Definitely check out the link that Nick Brown gave you, lots of great notes there. The Highland Park 12yo is definitely worth a look too, great value for your money IMO.

Welcome to the Forums! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:17 pm

Thanks guys! Wow quick response, now that is dedication to a worthy cause!
Thanks Nick Brown for the link to the tasting notes. Looks like the HP 18 is going to be very enjoyable for my palate.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:33 pm

If JW Gold is your thing you might consider looking at Dalwhinnie 15yo also

Plenty of honey in that (heather honey) and like HP Just a touch of sweet smoke but not a lot, maybe even less than HP(It's been a while so I can't remember the peat & smoke bit).

:thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks Irishwhiskeychaser for the recommendation. Actually, I am already familiar with Dalwhinnie and I am a big fan of it. If HP 18 is similar to Dalwhinnie and JW Gold in terms of smoothness, honey and balance then i think i will be very happy.

I have picked up a bottle of HP 18 for $81 here in Canada. It's not cheap, but if its good, i have no problem with the price. I intend to have a taste this weekend.

Again, thanks for your input!

Cheers
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Gilles Deleuze » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:58 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:Thanks Irishwhiskeychaser for the recommendation. Actually, I am already familiar with Dalwhinnie and I am a big fan of it. If HP 18 is similar to Dalwhinnie and JW Gold in terms of smoothness, honey and balance then i think i will be very happy.

I have picked up a bottle of HP 18 for $81 here in Canada. It's not cheap, but if its good, i have no problem with the price. I intend to have a taste this weekend.

Again, thanks for your input!

Cheers

I can't speak for the JW Gold, but in comparison to the Dalwhinnie the HP 18 is, to my mind, both much richer and smokier. Although in the HP the smoke lurks in the background (much more so than in the 12, in my opinion), while rich honey and heathery sweetness dominate on the nose. The mouthfeel doesn't betray the nose, and the richness of both honey and heather devlop with a sophisticated peat prodding them from behind. The finish is long and really full, and I often get a sort of creamy oakiness (or an oaky creaminess!) right at the end.

From what I can remember, not having had any Dalwhinnie for a couple months, I found a certain cereal note on the nose coupled with faint but fresh berries (raspberries perhaps?)--the HP 18 lacks these flavors. Also, there was honey on the palate but not nearly as smokey or rich as in the HP. And maybe I'm crazy, but I often noticed an almost minty coolness on the finish that seemed also to bring cereal and oats back into the mix.

These are just some impromptu tasting recollections/comparisons--perhaps others can share theirs! :thumbsup:
They're both good whiskies. The HP 18 has a nice rich body, while I think the Dalwhinnie has a freshness that actually makes it a really nice drink during the dog days of summer! :mrgreen:
Gilles Deleuze
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:01 pm

yes Gilles D you are on the money there about HP

It has a richer fuller taste and feel in comparison to JW Gold and Dalwhinnie that's why I suggested the Dal15 but NSF is way ahead of he :thumbsup: Hopefully you will enjoy the HP and embark on the next phase of Whisk(e)y appreciation :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:06 am

Thanks Gilles and IrishWhiskeyChaser for your advice. I opened the HP 18 tonight and I am impressed! I usually drink the Johnnie Walker Gold with two ice cubes because the ice opens up flavours that when drank neat are missed. So, when I turned to the HP 18 tonight, I first tried it neat, and to my surprise it was very very very nice! To my mind it did not need ice. Nevertheless, I had a second drink with ice (two cubes) and I found the ice diminished the flavour, and did not bring forth anything else. So, guess what? I like it neat. This is a surprise to me. Maybe the lesser quality scotches (ie. JW Black and Gold) need the ice to make them more palatable? I dunno. I still enjoy the JW Gold, but HP 18, I think is wasted when water or ice are added, but that is just my humble, non-connosieur opinion.

One other surprising observation of mine is that the nose of the HP 18 is very subtle, which leads into a subtle and very refined flavour profile. Tonight I have the JW Gold as a comparison and it has a much more robust nose of spice.

Anyway, again thank you gentlemen, and if any of you find yourself in New Brunswick, Canada, drop me a line and i will invite you over for a wee bit of scotch tasting!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:56 am

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:Thanks Gilles and IrishWhiskeyChaser for your advice. I opened the HP 18 tonight and I am impressed! I usually drink the Johnnie Walker Gold with two ice cubes because the ice opens up flavours that when drank neat are missed. So, when I turned to the HP 18 tonight, I first tried it neat, and to my surprise it was very very very nice! To my mind it did not need ice. Nevertheless, I had a second drink with ice (two cubes) and I found the ice diminished the flavour, and did not bring forth anything else. So, guess what? I like it neat. This is a surprise to me. Maybe the lesser quality scotches (ie. JW Black and Gold) need the ice to make them more palatable? I dunno. I still enjoy the JW Gold, but HP 18, I think is wasted when water or ice are added, but that is just my humble, non-connosieur opinion.

One other surprising observation of mine is that the nose of the HP 18 is very subtle, which leads into a subtle and very refined flavour profile. Tonight I have the JW Gold as a comparison and it has a much more robust nose of spice.

Anyway, again thank you gentlemen, and if any of you find yourself in New Brunswick, Canada, drop me a line and i will invite you over for a wee bit of scotch tasting!

Now try the JW gold without ice. Then try it again with ice right afterwards. I would be suprised if the ice didn't mute the flavors just as it did in the HP 18.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:50 am

Have a try with a little water would be my advice. You may prefer it neat but I have found that a little water is the way to go.
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:52 pm

Well, I have tried it with a little water and I do mean a little, like a teaspoon. It does improve it. In the past, i have always drank scotch with ice, so instinctually i have preferred ice, the chill of the scotch before it starts to melt too much is great.

How much water do you add. My friend tells me: "Just a drop or two"
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder