Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 1975 !

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg 1975

Ardbeg 1975 !

Postby Stephane Grialet » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:37 pm

Hi,

I thought there was almost no more Ardbeg 1975 available in whisky shops... but i found one of them in my favourite one, and i "jumped on the occasion" (french expression... don't know how it sounds in English...).
For 99 euros, i think it's a bargain... am i wrong ?

It has been bottled in 2000, so it makes it a 25 y.o. Ardbeg. Has someone already tasted it ? I know only critisizes about the 1998 bottling... (good critisizes Image
Do the 2 years older make it better... less good... or just as good ?

Oh yes, for french people who read me and who search but can't find Ardbeg 1975, "my whisky shop" has other bottles. (i talk about that because i know that there is no more left in the main french shop "Maison du Whisky" in Paris).

Stephane
Stephane Grialet

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:50 pm

http://www.peatfreak.com/Cnt.php?search=ardbeg+1975

There are several tasting notes of different 1975 Ardbeg expressions here.

Let's hope more people will take the minute or so to add a few notes of their own Image
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:19 pm

I quite enjoy my bottle of OMC '75 25yo Ardbeg, the only '75 I have (botted in 2000 obviously). I'm told the '74s are even better.

The nose is nice and peaty, with Ardbeg medicinal smells, smoke and moss. The body continues the theme with some malt and oak. The finish is long and hot with a large return of peat and smoke. It is well balanced with a strong nose announcing the full body and hot finish but it is smooth and well composed at the same time. In some ways it reminds me of a much stronger, fuller bodied version of the 17yo OB.

BTW, english contains the expression "I jumped at the chance" which is very close to your french expression.

Harry

[This message has been edited by hpulley (edited 27 August 2003).]
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg 1975

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder