Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

LEDAIG WHISKY

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Ledaig

LEDAIG WHISKY

Postby BAGGLS » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:27 pm

This is my first visit to this forum... reading entires with interest!

I've got hold of a bottle of Ledaig, but am wondering if it is worth a tipple considering some of the indifferent feedback about it. I've not tried Ledaig as yet

The bottle is a 1974 Vintage, bottled at the distillery in 1992...

Any ideas please! :wink:
BAGGLS

Re: LEDAIG WHISKY

Postby jmrl » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:08 pm

Ledaig suffers from a low opinion which is not always warranted. A typical Tobermory/Ledaig (the distillery/brand has a mild case of schizophrenia) nose is a bit stinky but on the palate is is often rewarding.Your bottling may be the official 1974, red packaging, at either 43% or cask strength. This is a good example. As you mention the bottling date its perhaps from an independent bottler so who knows is quality? Drink it, but keep coming back to it as your palate learns whisky.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:35 pm

BAGGLS wrote:This is my first visit to this forum... reading entires with interest!

I've got hold of a bottle of Ledaig, but am wondering if it is worth a tipple considering some of the indifferent feedback about it. I've not tried Ledaig as yet

The bottle is a 1974 Vintage, bottled at the distillery in 1992...

Any ideas please! :wink:

YOu can still find official bottling of that Ledaig 1974 bottled at 43% for around £60.
It is a quite pleasant malt, rather peaty smoky.
Ledaig from the 1972-4 have a very good reputation amongst connoisseurs and I think that you will enjoy it.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby BAGGLS » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:51 pm

Feedback was really appreciated.

My whisky glass will kick into action v soon!

baggls
BAGGLS

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:51 pm

Baggls;
I've got one tucked in the Lair and as a cache of them was discovered in one of the LC warehouses, there's another one with my name on it sitting in the local LCBO with 8 more in storage if I want.

Once I've got the spare, I'll open the first one and do a HTH with my Tobermory to see what differences and similarities develop. It may end up in my signature...

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi there,

the early 1970s were a time when Ledaig had seen one of the frequent re-openings and changes of owner.

The name in 1972 really was Ledaig for the whole distillery Tobermory it was named after the next closure I think.

So 1972 being a year of first production saw very heavily peated malts from Ledaig.

I have read a comment I think it was from Serge Valentine of http://www.whiskyfun.com that in his opinion the 1972 Ledaigs can be compared to 1972 Clynelishs and from Serge this would be high praise indeed as his all time favourites are Broras.

But I think that the glory did not last for long as the peatiness was reduced soon after the opening in 1972 or thereabouts.

But I am sure that this 1974 Ledaig will behave well in your glass.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ledaig

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder