Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Royal Lochnagar - Selected Reserve

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Royal Lochnagar - Selected Reserve

Postby Jhelder » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:46 pm

Hi,

Someone offered me (for 110 euros) a bottle of Royal Lochnagar Selected Reserve. Is there anyone who can tell me something about this bottle? I already compared the price and I know it is good but I would like to know more about the tasting notes and the experiences of other forum users. Is it worth the money? Furthermore, the age is not stated...but has anyone some input about the age (e.g. the age of the youngest whisky).

I'm of again to my 30 years old Springbank :P

Cheers,

Jim Helder
Jhelder

Re: Royal Lochnagar - Selected Reserve

Postby Ganga » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:15 am

Lochnager SR is a very good whisky. There may be some younger whisky in the vatting but it is my understanding that the majority of this is whisky greater than 20 years. When I became familiar with it, it was $150 US.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby jmrl » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:27 pm

good dram but too pricey. only 43% I recall
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:03 pm

This is often available for deep discount in travel retail - around GBP 70-75 I think.
Deactivated Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:28 pm

I believe the whisky used is 18 - 25 years. I personally like this whisky alot and if you can get it for £75 like Nick says then i will look out for it the next time i am lucky enough to fly somewhere. :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby HPSauce » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:05 pm

I dropped by the Lochnagar distillery shop recently - it's well worth a visit, in a lovely setting and possibly the best stocked shop of all the Diageo group.

Anyway, they were selling the Lochnagar Selected Reserve at £95, and there appeared to be a new liveried version behind the counter which I haven't seen elsewhere, but I wasn't paying close attention so I don't know if it's the same whisky or not. The current presentation has been around a long time.
HPSauce

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:59 pm

When I said it is sometimes available for deep discount, that does just mean sometimes - on special promotion. Lochnagar Special Reserve and Dewar's Signature are the two that stand out for me as being often available in travel retail for way, way below their UK retail price.
Deactivated Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:43 pm

Nick Brown wrote:When I said it is sometimes available for deep discount, that does just mean sometimes - on special promotion. Lochnagar Special Reserve and Dewar's Signature are the two that stand out for me as being often available in travel retail for way, way below their UK retail price.

Nick, with this in mind i checked at World Duty Free at Stanstead as i have just been away for a break and sure enough as you said the price of the Dewars Signature was £75 which made me wince as i paid considerably more for mine but the new Livery Royal Lochnagar SR 70CL was £125. The only other time i was ever in a duty free was January this year when it was £99, again at Stansted.
I think for £75 and £99 respectively both are well worth getting. :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Jhelder » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:05 am

Dear all,

I made the decision and bought the selected reserve for 110 euros (incl shipment) which is roughly 84-88 pounds. I think that it is a perfect dram to enjoy Christmas!

Thank a lot for your input guys!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jim
Jhelder

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder