Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Yoichi 12, 45%

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Yoichi 12, 45%

Postby Bulkington » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:28 pm

So I managed finally to get a bottle of Japanese whiskey that wasn't a Yamazaki 12 or 18, the only ones marketed in the U.S. My first impressions (second impressions this evening) are that this is one of my favorite whiskeys. Sweet pine, wet bark, and driftwood on the nose and pallet. Smoothest 45% I've experienced and it's long finish (out of which vanilla bubbles up in the end) was the more surprising for that.

Interestingly (to me at least), I've wondered what it would be like if there were a serious single-malt movement in the U.S. attempting to produce quality product using scotch-worthy methods but, unlike McCarthy's, say, which imports peated malt from Scotland, keeping it all 100% local. What regional characteristics, if any, would materialize? I live in NY but I'm from Western Washington (State), and if I were to imagine what a whiskey distilled there (but from barley grown in Eastern Washington, where such things are grown) would taste like, I think would imagine something rather like this Yoichi.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Re: Yoichi 12, 45%

Postby shoganai » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:43 pm

I recently got a bottle of Stranahan's Colorado whiskey, which claims to be made from "Rocky Mountain born ingredients" which includes 100% malted barley. I've only tried it once so far and I enjoyed it although I don't think it was remarkable and I don't remember specifics. Perhaps one of these days I'll start a thread with better notes.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Bulkington » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:44 pm

http://lyke2drink.blogspot.com/2006/10/ ... iskey.html

The above link and others make the Stranahan's seem worth checking out. It's stocked here in NY. Maybe I'll take a chance on it.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Jobi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:28 pm

Bulkington wrote:The above link and others make the Stranahan's seem worth checking out. It's stocked here in NY. Maybe I'll take a chance on it.

Rather than chance it, Beekman Liquors on Lexington Ave. and 47th is having a Stranahan's tasting on Wednesday, 9/24 (4:00 - 7:00).
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:17 pm

Great news! Thanks!
Bulkington
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder