Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

midleton reserve blend control no. 107-1

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

midleton reserve blend control no. 107-1

Postby waitey1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Hello,

I have a bottle of middleton reserve which has been in my family for more than 20 years just wondered if it would be worth anything to any collector out there.

It is an unopened bottle and states on the label
Midleton Reserve
blend control no.107-1
specialy blended rare whisky
70% proof - 26 2/3 fluid oz's
Distilled and bottled by irish distillers limited.

I do not know anything about whisky so any help would be much appreciated.
any q's please email me at.
Waitey@anthonywaite.wanadoo.co.uk
waitey1

Re: midleton reserve blend control no. 107-1

Postby waitey1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:55 pm

Does anyone have an idea of value on this bottle
waitey1

Postby lohssanami » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:00 pm

I have no idea, but if you are looking for advice or opinions on a bottle, you sometimes have to wait a few days. I'm sure when someone knows about this bottle, they will post something, and there are plenty of Irish experts here that may be able to help.

It would also help a great deal if you could post a nice picture of the bottle.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby waitey1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks for that i will try and get a picture of the bottle on now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
waitey1

Postby JCSkinner » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:05 pm

It's a Seventies bottling, I think, from Midleton obviously.
This predated the 'Midleton Very Rare' blend which is now issued in annual vintages.
It was considered a premium 'liqueur' dram for on-sale excise purposes, attracting similar levels of duty as Bushmills and Scotches, which obviously were imported into the Republic.
However, it wasn't quite the top end brand that the 'Very Rare' became (following clever marketing and the introduction of vintages.) Redbreast fell into the same category for duty too.
See comparative maximum prices here (Wexford, 1973):
http://193.178.1.79/1973/en/si/0200.html
Or here (Dundalk 1972):
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1972/en/si/0229.html
Your bottle might well be a product of the Old Midleton distillery, and that has its fans alright.
If you were selling this, its comparative rarity and its provenance from Old Midleton would likely make it attractive to the Midleton vintage collectors or those with fond memories of splashing out a full 42p a dram for it back in the day!
I'm more of a Bushmills man myself, but if you PM me, I'll make you what I believe is a fair offer. It is certainly possible that some of the keener Midleton fans may want to speak to you too if you are considering selling.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby waitey1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Wow, how interesting thanks for the post. I have sent you a personal message.

Many thanks indeed..
waitey1

Postby cathach » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:40 am

Hi Waitey,

I don't know if you know it waitey1 but a bottle of this went for sale at mctears recently and made £160 or so, I partcipated in the sale in the sale of 2 bottles for E173 ea. so that should give you an idea of the value.

Irish whiskey has a lesser resale value than Scotch, as it is much the poorer cousin of the whiskey world generally in terms of audience.
cathach
Silver Member

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:21 pm

I made Waitey an offer in that ballpark, but it seems as if the bubble market is now coming to Irish whiskey too, as a noted retailer of Irish whiskey apparently trumped me with a much higher offer, presumably with the intention of selling on for a profit.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:46 am

cathach wrote:Hi Waitey,

I don't know if you know it waitey1 but a bottle of this went for sale at mctears recently and made £160 or so, I partcipated in the sale in the sale of 2 bottles for E173 ea. so that should give you an idea of the value.

Irish whiskey has a lesser resale value than Scotch, as it is much the poorer cousin of the whiskey world generally in terms of audience.

I was the one who bought one at McTears. There was 15% on top of the sale price too. I think I got it for a good price, to be honest. I was really attracted to it because I have a Powers 15 in the same bottle, but there are people who'd pay a lot more for this bottle than I did, that's for sure.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder