Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bowmore Mariner 15

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Bowmore Darkest

Bowmore Mariner 15

Postby DrChimRichalds » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:28 am

Anyone have any tasting notes on the Bowmore Mariner 15? Is this finished in port pipes? Not much info on the net regarding this expression, any help would be appreciated thanks.
:wink:
DrChimRichalds

Re: Bowmore Mariner 15

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:52 am

Hi Ron,

I don't think it has any port influence. It certainly tastes and looks sherried and is probably a vatting of sherry and bourbon casks (80 - 20, say).

It's been a long time since I tasted it as like a lot of people I was chased off by the "perfume".
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:51 pm

I remember it as being one of the "rougher" Islays...nothing particularly subtle about it. None of the delicacy i associate with my one (delicious) bottle of the "old" 17, and to some extent a good bottle of the 12, and certainly no wine/sherry influence that I can recall, such as i have enjoyed with the Dusk, or "old" Darkest.

I would have stood it next to my Lahroaigs meself. Lots of fun nonetheless.

Just looking up Jim's notes from the 2006 Bible. He describes it as " Uncultured and tattooed...asking for a punch-up! Smoke all the way...A roughneck...!"

He gives it 89, so we agree on one Bowmore at least!(He hated the Darkest...)

Nor do i remember any noxious perfume...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby jazz lover » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:54 pm

This one does not have a port finish,
it has a lovely earthy fern smell.
This is one of my favorites
even better than the 17yr. IMO.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Toronto_Andrew73 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:04 pm

not as good as the 12 yr imo...I found the 15 is more winey & astringent. I am curious to try 15+ Bowmores though, see how even more wood tastes..maybe a couple more years will balance it out.
Toronto_Andrew73

Postby Ganga » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Hasn't the Mariner 15 been discontinued? Current Bowmore lineup that I see has a 15 yo Darkest now (and no Darkest NAS). It's been several years since I had the Mariner 15 but I don't recall it being finished in port.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:44 am

In its day, the Mariner seemed to ably 'fill that gap' between the 12YO and 17YO. I always found that, when compared to the 17YO, the 15YO Mariner possessed a tad more sea-salt and sandy peat than its older sibling, but slightly less of that opulent fruit. And for this reason, I would have guessed that it incorporated a slightly lower proportion of Sherry cask matured spirit in its makeup than the others.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:21 am

I've got a bottle of the Mariner open right now and I have a feeling it will be sitting there for a while. I find that the lavender and FWP just make it hard to drink. It is not the worst malt I have ever had but it is definitely towards the bottom. I find myself pouring a small dram every couple of weeks to see if I have grown to like it.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Related whiskies : Bowmore Darkest

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder