Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Opinions on Caol Ila 12 needed.

General chat and talk about whisky.

Opinions on Caol Ila 12 needed.

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:05 pm

Just curious as to the general consensus on this SMS. Thank You.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Re: Opinions on Caol Ila 12 needed.

Postby peat-chaser » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:36 pm

It´s not a favorit of mine, for it has a lack of deepth and complexity. If possible choose the 18, it´s much better.
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:09 am

Elagabalus:
Caol Ila 12 you say.... okay black box version, purchased locally on Oct 25, 2004...
Colour: Pale yellow almost reddish hints in it's depths.
Nose: Smoke, heather, astringency of iodine, hints of sweetness, almost a honeyed aroma, fighting to be noticed.
Palate: Starts off cool and sweet then the smokiness and fire that roils down to the stomach takes precedence, around a half second later.
Finish: A smokey warmth spreads through the mouth, with a sweetish tingle on the tip of the tongue while an acrid smoke caresses the back of the throat. okay... grabs the back of the throat and ensures it is noticed, while there is a spreading heat in the belly.
Comment: Not what I'd call a timid dram, rather one that insists on your full attention. That being said, I enjoy the 12 for what it has to offer but find the CS has a bit more character.

My opinion is that it is a good dram to have in your collection but if you are only going to have one example, I would tend towards the CS.

Now that you are back after a summer hiatus, will you be going to WL Toronto on Oct 23?

Muskrat Potage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:26 am

I don't think there is a general consensus on this whisky. I think it is a decent, straightforward Islay. However, I would recommend the 18 as it is a much nicer dram and is only a smidge more for a bottle. Also, I think many of the Islay whiskies, including CI, really benefit from being cask strength instead of 40/43%.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:07 am

I like Caol Ila very much, but I find the standard 12 to be lacking. As others have said, it needs to be stronger.

My personal guideline is that Caol Ila is brilliant when nearing 60% ABV.
Deactivated Member

Postby Dubois » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:25 am

Caol Ila 12 Yrs is a favorite of mine. I prefer this one over the 18 Yrs.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:37 am

Hi there,

Caol Ila 12 yo is directly Islay no fuss no diversions. Straight peated Islay whisky without diversions.

Caol Islay uses second fill bourbon barrels so a typical Caol Ila has to be light in colour.

In the 18 yo they have used some sherry casks in the vatting and though Caol Ila from sherry casks can be excellent it is not your typical Caol Ila.

The best of the OBs is the Caol Ila cask strength NAS. In my opinion. That means up to 60.0% and a no onsense Islay malt that takes no prisoners. A very honest malt.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:46 am

kallaskander wrote:Hi there,

The best of the OBs is the Caol Ila cask strength NAS. In my opinion. That means up to 60.0% and a no onsense Islay malt that takes no prisoners. A very honest malt.

Greetings
kallaskander

As per my previous post, I fully agree here.
But I have had a few IBs which were even better. All at around 59-60%
Deactivated Member

Postby peat-chaser » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:50 am

The Whisky Galore bottling Keith had in the bar , 13y.o. and 62% (?) was very good too. :thumbsup:
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:53 am

I don't think there is a word Kallaskander said that I disagree with, except perhaps the diversion of the second diversion.

I also agree with Dubois that I prefer the 12 to the 18. Somehow the 18 just lacks the oomph (apologies for the technical jargon). But there can be no doubt, if you have a few quid to spend on a Caol Ila then buy the cask strength. There are some great CI IBs, but I'm thinking they wont be easy to find in Canada.

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby kallaskander » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi there,

somehow I got diverted here - or was it distracted? :lol:

If you are looking for an excellent IB Caol Ila than go for the 1984 Scott`s Selection. Not sure you can get it in Canada.

The same goes for two Cadenheads 17 yo and 26 yo.

I know all three have their price.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:00 pm

I love the Caol Ila 12yo OB and it's one of my top 3 current Islay's.
Their young cask strengths are great too!

12yo OB
Appearance: Light gold in color, thick beading on the glass with slow thin legs.
Nose: Smoke and honey, new tires (tyres) Juicy Fruit (gum)
Palate: thinly oiled like a light olive oil, lightly sweetened peat on the tongue
Finish: Long, peaty and slightly salty.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:38 pm

Willie JJ wrote:I also agree with Dubois that I prefer the 12 to the 18. Somehow the 18 just lacks the oomph (apologies for the technical jargon).

I like the technical jargon Willie. :D I myself prefer the more subtle approach of the 18 (if I'm going to have CI at 43%). But I'd much rather have CI at about 18 to 20 and cask strength. Society bottling that I tried was "the bomb".
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Ganga wrote:
Willie JJ wrote:I also agree with Dubois that I prefer the 12 to the 18. Somehow the 18 just lacks the oomph (apologies for the technical jargon).

I like the technical jargon Willie. :D I myself prefer the more subtle approach of the 18 (if I'm going to have CI at 43%). But I'd much rather have CI at about 18 to 20 and cask strength. Society bottling that I tried was "the bomb".

Yup! My SMWS "welcome" bottle was a 15YO at @53%. This "Frivoulous malt"(SMWS descriptor!) was quite the best CI i've tried, and would give the best Ardbeg a run for its money IMO.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:12 pm

Yesterday there was one bottle of Caol Ila 12 available for purchase at an LCBO outlet in Richmond Hill. I was going to go buy it today but it's already been sold! I contacted the LCBO and they said no future bottles have been ordered, and yet the website does not state the product has been discontinued. They suggested I privately order a case. I can't imagine what the surcharges would be.
Has anyone ordered anything privately from the LCBO. The Caol Ila comes in a case if 6.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby sampaiocaleia » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:16 pm

For me is a "stick in the middle" Islay whisky!!

Tasting notes (use the translater)
http://thewhiskyscapesociety.blogspot.com/2008/06/caol-ila-12-years-old-mais-um-de-islay.html
sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi Muskrat.

SMS bankrupted me, so over the summer I underwent a bit of a tequila bent. As some might know tequila prices aren't cheap either. My sense have returned though so I am back again to the world of scotch. :)

I hadn't really considered going. I went last year and tried a variety of SMS and fancy blends I couldn't afford anyway. lol
It doesn't make sense to pay $$$ this year to sample Cutty Sark.
I might make an appearance though, if nothing else but to console my adoring fans on this forum who would undoubtedly miss me. What are at the door ticket prices???
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:30 pm

I happen to love Caol Ila 12; a lovely oiliness reminding me of a peppery virgin olive oil, a little citrusy character and a fish-like smokiness which goes perfect with smoked cod. I think this must be one of the most under appreciated whiskies - especially among the ones from Islay.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:15 pm

Yellow,

I put in a private request through the LCBO website. They will get back to me on prices to order, case size, etc etc.

I'll keep you posted on what they say
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:23 pm

Actually Yellow, I was just thinking. You should also send them at the LCBO an email asking if they will re order any of the 12yo Caol Ila. The more people requesting they order some the better.

That's it! I am going to make it my personal mission to get Caol Ila 12 back on the shelves for all you fabulous people in Ontario. I will even take this to the governor general! This is an outrage that the good people of Ontario can't have a bottle of Caol Ila 12 on their shelves. Surely, this will be an election issue. :thumbsup:

Theres a bit of Caol Ila in jw green label so that will have to do for now.

Moreover I like how Caol Ila sounds when you pronounce it properly. When I do get a bottle and have friends over and they ask me what I am drinking I will be able to tell them Caol Ila in some fancy gaelic affectation which will no doubt be all wrong and sound more french than gaelic. LOL

lol omg I'm such a nut.
:dead:
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:30 pm

Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:30 pm

How do I get an image to appear in my signature?
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:48 am

The LCBO is out of A'Bunadh? I find that odd.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:11 am

Elagabalus wrote:How do I get an image to appear in my signature?

Elagabalus:

First, select the picture and reduce it in size to around 80 x 80 pixels and 6kB. Save it.

Now go into Profile, and you have 4 choices, select "edit avatar"

To find your saved picture, click on "browse..." which will take you into your files and "my pictures" or where-ever you've saved you picture.

Then "Upload it from your machine" the C: \Documents... will show up, then click on "Submit" and you should have an avatar with your signature.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:13 am

Elagabalus wrote:The LCBO is out of A'Bunadh? I find that odd.
That's normal anywhere outside of Toronto the Good. If I want another bottle I am required to drive West to Winnipeg to get one, or two.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder