Whisky Magazine Issue 50
This article is 10 years old and some information provided may be time sensitive. Please check all details of events, tours, opening times and other information before travelling or making arrangements.
Copyright Whisky Magazine © 1999-2016. All rights reserved. To use or reproduce part or all of this article please contact us for details of how you can do so legally.
To celebrate our 50th issue we asked a selection of people for their best whisky drinking occasion. Here are the best 50 of them
1. My bar manager and I visited Glenfiddich and got the chance to dip into the mixing vat of their new Solero Reserve. It was stunningly gorgeous. A chance to try something before it had been filtered and even released yet.
2. Going to the bar after seeing the Sex Pistols, who I had always wanted so see, in a small venue in Australia. Only 300 people were there. After being mesmerised by them, sinking a dram at the bar after was great.
3. Tasting the first new spirit at Bruchladdich on May 29, 2001 at 8.23am. This followed years of trying to get everything going, six months of renovations and repairs, and all the concerns and worries. I was crying and could not look anyone in the eye. They were tears of joy and relief.
4. My wife Jackie and I came to Islay eight years ago. Not long after everything was refurbished we had a huge storm. There were 142mph winds ripping across the island. We were basically marooned with our eight month old son. After a near death experience with a piece of flying asbestos board, I opened a bottle of 1978 Ardbeg and poured two glasses. This was the first time what was being produced here meant something to me. It calmed me down and made me feel courageous.
5. It will be when the first spirit runs at Kilchoman Distillery. It is more than four years since I came up with the idea of building a farm distillery and my dream is about to be realised.
6. My first trip to Bowmor...