Thu 11 Oct 2012
Craft Distilling Icon- Balcones - Launches in the UK
Trailblazing US craft distillery and first ever recipient of Whisky Magazine Icons of Whisky - Craft Distillery of the Year award, Balcones from Waco, Texas, is set to take the UK whisky industry by storm this autumn as it launches this side of the Atlantic.
The brainchild of its President and Head Distiller, Chip Tate, Balcones has long been synonymous with innovation and extraordinary world-class spirits since it was founded by Chip in 2008. As of this autumn, Chip's award-winning artisanal spirits will be available at The Whisky Exchange, at Vinopolis in London.
Known best for both their blue corn whiskies as well as their Texas single malt, Balcones provides something totally new, whilst still retaining appeal for those who enjoy the conventional refinement of a discerning dram.
Chip and two of his distillers built the distillery from scratch. From metal sheeting and copper, to old stainless steel vessels bought on eBay, the team of three built the distillery from the bottom up. Today, Balcones is the only distillery in the US that has been entirely hand built by the distillers themselves and one of the US's finest examples of extraordinary craftsmanship in this sector.
Chip said: "We are very excited about launching in such a wonderful whisky market. UK consumers know their spirits and have an appreciation for fine whiskies. Our spirits will hopefully showcase what craft distilling is truly all about - refined, unique spirits born of tradition, that add something new, something bold."
Since its inauguration in 2008 and first spirit release a year later, Balcones has launched a number of award winning, spirits. Of the seven Balcones products in the portfolio, four of these will be available in the UK as follows:Baby Blue
: A unique corn whisky made from atole, a roasted blue corn meal. Balcones uses this rich and nutty corn to produce a whisky that will bring something new to the corn whisky tradition. Baby Blue was the first Texas whisky on the market since prohibition. RRP: £56.95
- Double Gold Medal - San Francisco World Wine & Spirits Competition
- Gold Medal - 2010 American Distilling Institute Whisky Competition
- Bronze Medal - 2011 New York International Spirits Competition
- 95 points - Anthony Dias Blue -Tasting Panel Magazine
- 5 Stars - Highest Recommendation -F. Paul Pacult's Spirits Journal December 2010
- Top 140 - F. Paul Pacult's Spirits Journal-Top 140 of all 5-Star rated spirits, 2011
- Silver Medal - 2012 New York World Wine & Spirits CompetitionTrue Blue 100
: A brand new, 100 proof roasted blue corn whisky sibling of Baby Blue, but with deeper wood notes, stone fruit, and butterscotch. It's full of rich notes of brown sugar, roasted nuts, and toast with lingering honeysuckle and citrus accents. RRP £67.95Brimstone
: Purification through fire-a Texas oak fire that is. Rather than using Scottish peat smoke, this one of a kind whisky is smoked with sun-baked Texas scrub oak using Balcones own secret process. The result is a whisky full of fresh youthful corn and light fruit notes married with a bold smokiness. RRP £64.95
- Gold Medal - 2011 New York World Wine & Spirits Competition
- Best in Category - 2012 American Distilling Institute Competition'1' Texas Single Malt
: A unique style of malt whisky, Texas made, Texas proud. This product is born of hundreds of years of distilling tradition transformed by a deep sense of place. Mellow notes of sauteed pears and ripe fruit mixed with a lingering toasty malt character. RRP £74.95
- Double Gold Medal - Single Malt Whisky, 2011 New York World Wine and Spirits Competition
- Best Single Malt Whisky - 2011 New York World Wine and Spirits Competition
- Best Whisky - 2011 New York World Wine and Spirits Competition
- Best in Show - Brown Spirits, 2011 New York World Wine & Spirits Competition
- 5 Stars - Highest Recommendation -F. Paul Pacult's Spirits Journal March 2012
- Top 140 - F. Paul Pacult's Spirits Journal-Top 140 of all 5-Star rated spirits, 2012
- Chairman's Trophy & 1st Place in American Whisky-2012 Ultimate Beverage
- Double Gold Medal - Single Malt Whisky, 2012 San Francisco World Wine and Spirits Competition
- Best in Category - 2012 American Distilling Institute Competition
- Silver Medal - 2012 New York World Wine & Spirits Competition
In addition to being awarded Whisky Magazine Icons of Whisky - Craft Distillery of the Year award for 2012, Balcones' spirits have together won over two dozen national and international awards, putting Balcones firmly at the forefront of the craft distilling movement.
All four products will be available from The Whisky Exchange from the first week of November. Please contact tel: 020 8838 9388 for further trade details.
In addition to the UK launch, Balcones will also be available in the Norwegian and Swedish markets this autumn.
You can follow Chip at Balcones on Twitter @balconeswhisky for regular updates, product news and distillery information, or log onto: http://www.balconesdistilling.com