Mon 26 Nov 2012
Create The Perfect Christmas Cocktail With Glenglassaugh
The countdown to the Christmas party season is on, and Glenglassaugh Distillery near Portsoy in Aberdeenshire has come up with the perfect drink to toast the festivities. The distillery’s unique award-winning Sloe Berry Liqueur is the ideal winter warmer: it can be sipped on its own, used in cocktails or even as the key ingredient in the most iconic of Christmas drinks – mulled wine.
The distinctive liqueur is made using Glenglassaugh’s Spirit Drink – a spirit that is less than three years old and therefore too young to be called whisky - and the fruit of the blackthorn tree. The result is a drink bursting with fresh fruit flavour and a long-lasting richness. Each 500ml bottle is sold at RRP of £19.00 and can be purchased from Glenglassaugh’s online retail shop, as well as from whisky merchants.
Glenglassaugh Distillery managing director Stuart Nickerson says, “Our Sloe Berry Liqueur makes a refreshing change to traditional whiskies as it’s made with our popular spirit drinks as a base as opposed to one of our single malt Scotch whiskies. It’s therefore appealing to a much broader range of palates.
“Sloe Berry Liqueur is a fantastic drink for this time of year because it can be used in so many cocktails. Our own particular favourite is Kir Royale, which traditionally uses Crème de Cassis, but the Sloe Berry Liqueur gives it an extra fruitiness. We have also discovered that it is wonderful served warm in a traditional mulled wine as it gives a fantastic richness and depth.
Sloe Berry Liqueur can be used in a variety of cocktail recipes to entertain your guests this festive season – why not give these a try at home?Kir Royale CocktailA traditional and classic cocktail which is so easy to make. Adds a touch of style to any occasion and is the perfect tipple for the festive season.Ingredients
• 1 part Glenglassaugh Sloe Berry Liqueur
• 5 parts Champagne or sparkling winePreparation
1. Build the ingredients in the flute glass.
2. Add the champagne first and then slowly add the Sloe Berry Liqueur to achieve a ‘blush’ colour or until it has the appearance of Rose Champagne. Mulled WineAn easy mulled wine recipe to warm you up this Christmas, brimming with festive spice and a kick of Sloe Berry Liqueur.Ingredients
• 1 bottle of red wine
• 60g/2oz Demerara sugar
• 1 cinnamon stick
• Grated nutmeg
• 1 orange, halved
• 1 dried bay leaf
• 60ml/2fl oz. Glenglassaugh Sloe Berry LiqueurPreparation
1. Put wine in a saucepan with the orange, sugar, bay leaf and spices.
2. Heat gently until the sugar had dissolved. Taste to see if you want the wine sweeter, add more to taste.
3. Off the heat, stir in Sloe Berry Liqueur.
4. Strain into heatproof glasses and serve immediately.
It’s possible to learn more about sloe Berry Liqueur on Glenglassaugh Distillery’s You Tube channel, where Stuart gives a tutorial on the drink and shares the tasting notes - http://youtu.be/OFZJo-qc8RI
More information about the distillery’s award-winning range of aged whiskies and younger spirit drinks is available http://www.glenglassaugh.com
or 01261 842367.