Copperworks American Single Malt Whiskey, Release 044, is crafted from eight casks of whiskey – half of which were brewed and distilled from Great Western Malting Pale Malt and matured for between 45 and 52 months in charred new American Oak casks. Three of the remaining four were brewed and distilled from single variety barley and matured for a total of 56 months in charred new American Oak casks. The last was created from a Queen’s Run (a term to describe a type of spirit distillation where the heads and tails from prior runs are run exclusively) and matured for 60 months in charred new American Oak cask.
The producer has described release 044 as having aromas of lemon zest, and black cherry, with a sweet tea mouthfeel accompanied by ripe kiwi and citrus peel notes. Its finish is described as a bang of white pepper and fresh raspberries.
Meanwhile, the Copperworks American Single Malt Whiskey Release 045 is made up of six casks, all of single variety - 94% of the bottling to be precise. The other 6% is from whiskey that matured for 60 months in Manzanilla sherry cask brought a perfect balance to this release.
The 045 release is described as having heather and cigar wrapper notes on the nose, a big clover honey, heather, and poached pear palate, concluded with a honey finish.
Both bottles have less than 2,000 available each, with the RRP coming in at $69.99 per release marked at 50% ABV.
Jason Parker, co-owner and president of Copperworks Distilling Co. said: “We’ve always released our whiskey based primarily on flavour. In other words, we never decide to use a cask of whiskey simply because of its age. Instead, we blend casks when we believe they are ready based on our tastings.”
Jeff Kanof, co-owner and vice president of Copperworks Distilling Co. continued: “For each release, we spend a few months tasting many casks and blending certain ones in various ways before landing on a single release. Occasionally, we have a few concepts that rise to the top, but we normally select only one to present as our next release. This time, we had two concepts that were too good not to share.”