Diageo has unveiled its 2023 Special Releases collection of rare single malt Scotch whiskies.
This year's collection, titled Spirited Xchange, is designed to celebrate the global nature and influences of Scotch whisky. It is the first Special Releases collection from Diageo master blender Dr Stuart Morrison and comprises eight rare and collectable single malts from the company's vast malts portfolio.
As is tradition for the Special Releases collection, each expression features bespoke label art created by a different global artist that has been inspired by the collection's theme.
The Spirited Xchange collection includes:
- Mortlach ‘The Katana’s Edge’, finished in ex-Kanosuke Japanese whisky and ex-Pinot Noir casks
- The Singleton ‘The Silken Gown’, finished in Chardonnay de Bourgogne French oak casks
- Talisker ‘The Wild Explorador’, finished in a combination of white, tawny, and ruby port casks
- Lagavulin ‘The Ink of Legends’, finished in Don Julio Añejo Tequila casks
- Roseisle ‘The Origami Kite’, the first public release from the distillery
- Glenkinchie ‘The Floral Treasure’ 27 Years Old, one of the distillery's most mature bottlings to date
- Oban ‘The Soul of Calypso’, finished in Caribbean pot still rum casks
- Clynelish ‘The Jazz Crescendo’, exclusively matured in ex-bourbon casks
Morrison said: "For me, Spirited Xchange is about identifying and celebrating the ideas, flavours, and tastes that surround us each day and inspire our curiosity to create. This collection has given us the opportunity to roam freely through our vast portfolio and experiment with old and new cask types, including various wine and local spirits casks to create eight one-of-a-kind expressions that we've never imagined before."
The launch of the 2023 Special Releases collection will be marked with an event in Scotland, bringing together chefs, bartenders, and artists for an immersive whisky-focused experience that will tell the stories of Talisker, Lagavulin, and The Singleton.
The 2023 Special Releases collection will be available in limited quantities from malts.com from 18 September.