The Elusive Expressions collection comprises eight aged and finished whiskies, hand-selected by master blender Dr Craig Wilson from Diageo's stock of 10 million casks from more than 30 distilleries.
Whisky lovers can expect new cask finishes, intriguing flavour profiles and a refresh for the collection's smokiest reserves in this year's selection, while in the pack design, fantastical beasts are unleashed through the artwork of illustrator Ken Taylor and digital visualisation artist Kevin Tong.
The Elusive Expressions Special Releases Scotch whisky collection comprises:
- A dark, sweet Mortlach demonstrating the Dufftown distillery's characteristic gingery depth.
- A lively expression of The Singleton of Glen Ord, aged in refill American and European oak then double matured in wine-seasoned casks.
- A classic Lagavulin matured in a combination of virgin oak casks and Diageo's smokiest reserves.
- An 11-year-old Talisker with the distillery's classic maritime, malty and smoky notes.
- A Clynelish matured in refill American oak and finished in Pedro Ximénez and oloroso sherry-seasoned casks for added sweetness and spice.
- A Cardhu expression finished in Jamaican rum casks.
- A 10-year-old Oban with fruity, smoky and salty notes.
- A 26-year-old expression from Cameronbridge, a first for the Special Releases.
Wilson said: "Today we reveal and introduce Elusive Expressions, a boundary-pushing collection with flavours and finishes that truly redefine what cask-strength whiskies can be. From abundantly rich, to strikingly rare flavours, each one is vividly bought to life with new energy. Featuring some of our oldest whisky dynasties, we’ve embraced the flavour contrasts that exist within the collection, to create an unexpected whisky experience."
This year's Special Releases collection also comes with the Elusive Expressions Cocktails and Serves book, which explores the history – and legends – behind the featured whisky distilleries and presents tailored cocktails from Diageo brand ambassadors in a bold graphic-novel style. Whisky lovers can also use a QR code to access an immersive digital experience and get closer even to the spirits in this year's collection.
It continues the mythical theme set by the 2021 Special Releases collection, Legends Untold.
The 2022 Special Releases collection will be available in limited quantities from specialist Scotch whisky retailers and malts.com from 1 October 2022.